While you guys talk OS, they talk 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellfish

Depressed as hell
I find it hilarious how whenever I look at this board, most Mac users are talking about how slow file transfers are and how things aren't smooth and this and that. Meanwhile, on Windows forums, nobody even mentions the remote possibility that XP is slow. Their only concern is getting the most out of their 3D card, something that Mac users have for long known will never be possible on their OS.

I guess it's safe to say that OS X is extremely slow, unstable and freezes a lot for the simplest of things whereas XP is fast, very stable and freezes only when the computer equipment is defective.

Seriously though, transfer a 500 meg file from one directory to another in XP and then do the same thing in OS X. Notice X gives you a beachball and prevents you from doing anything on the system for a few seconds whereas XP is already done.

Open menus and programs in XP and then open their equivalents in OS X. Notice how horribly slow OS X is yet?

Try secure web sites with IE 6 and then go to that same secure sites in Safari. Safari doesn't load them properly? Oh my god!

Write a Word document in Windows and watch it crash (if ever), only to have the document reopen the second you open Word XP again. Write a Word document in OS X, watch it crash (guaranteed), reopen Word to find that you have a blank page. YOUR DOCUMENT IS LOST! HA HA HA! Search your hard drive in hopes of restoring it!

Buy 256 megs RAM in XP and notice how quick your system is. Get 256 for OS X and go make yourself a cup of coffee and breakfast, just opening one program will be a pain for you.

Finally, search for files with Kazaa Lite in Windows and find everything you'd ever want and then use Acquisition or LimeWire in OS X and notice how the only results you get are cheap/fake text files. Good job!

Andre

Why are you here with this? You seem like the type that wants to make something from nothing. I use a MAc, I prefer a Mac, and i wouldn't waste my time on a PC support site discussing the benefits of owning a Mac.

*cough*TROLL!!*cough*

Notice the vast difference in specs on the machines he's using... fair comparison.

cellfish,

My first instinct, after reading your post, was to close this thread. But I decided not to because of Urbansory's response to your post.

Why are you here? I mean, your welcomed here of course, but if you despise the macintosh platform so much, why is it that you're here?

It also seems very apparent to me that you've never spent any amount of time on an OSX machine at all. I don't want my response to turn into point counter-point, so I'll only make one point. If you knew anything about the macintosh platform, you'd know it has a high retention rate. People who use Macintosh tend to stay on that platform. Why would you think you're argument (which is pretty weak) would change the minds of Macintosh enthusiasts?

Half of your "problems" with the OS are with 3rd party vendors. In your post you compared:

1) Safari to IE Explorer
Good job there buddy, you're comparing a BETA version of a browser which came out less then a year ago to a browser that has been on the market since before 95. Windows has had its shot, but their browser has seen better days. You can tell their browser days are numbered on other platforms, with the advent of so many "3rd party" browsers springing up. IE is considered the "evil browser" in OSX world, and LINUX users hate it as well. And to your point, IE runs fine on Windows.

2) Word (mac) to Word (Windows)
Ahh these are both M$ products, Imagine M$ making a software package that runs better on Windows then a Mac. However, I can't share your opinion either, since I've been able to use Office X with little to no trouble at all. I open Word documents (without it crashing) and Word has never taken my entire system down at all. In fact I can't think of the last time my system went down, period.

3) Kazza Lite to Acquisition or LimeWire
I don't use Acquisition, I hear it's crap, and LimeWire is java based, making it slow and clunky. But both of these clients share two things in common 1) they are clients, only clients. They track the networks, regardless if they are windows or macs. They return the same results, regardless of what platform the servers are on. Each of those clients is only as good as their "tracker list".

And this is a big one:
2) NEITHER of them has anything to do with the mac platform, other then that they run on it. Your inclusion of these programs implies that Windows doesn't have any bad 3rd party apps? Do you really want that as your argument in a debate on a Mac platform forum website?

Lastly, I think your post tells me one thing. That Windows users (such as yourself) must be getting scared. That's why you're here. Admit it, you like Mac, you're torn by your feelings of inadequacy and you're venting your frustrations in an anti-mac post. That's it, isn't it?

More and more people are starting to respect the Macintosh platform since OSX. Even my long-time LINUX friends are starting to recant on all their Apple bashing. Face it, OSX rocks! It's UNIX based, it's stable, it's secure and open source.

So do us a favor, quit posting as if you know more about our platform then we do. We use it, we love it, leave us alone. We promise we won't make fun out of you when you succumb to your inner feelings and decide to buy a Mac.

just go away man all you are provoking here is cellfish bashing - just close that ie window on your peecee and why don't you go buy a new graphics card or something? surely you could use a neato colored box see through case mod?
we like macs and you seem to like windows, why don't you go to windowsxp.com and leave us to our little macosx.com?

...Cellfish, you Mr.Cellfish, seem not to have any real egoism... Oh no! On the contrary you let yourself to be such a drag... :p And in the wrong place too! :D

Maybe you should start calling yourself:
-> Trollfish <-

;)

Have a nice day! :)

aww hulk don't get down on him too much you might scare him away from his computer... and then what would the poor guy do? play in a highway? let him have his fun easy without all the accusations of trolling...

Originally posted by mr. K
aww hulk don't get down on him too much you might scare him away from his computer... and then what would the poor guy do? play in a highway? let him have his fun easy without all the accusations of trolling...

My bad! :p :D ;)

Sorry! ::love::

way over board, and uncalled for cell... as much as i agree with some of the things you said, you seem to be as blinded on the opposite side of the spectrum as others are here

Desktop - Athlon XP 2200+, 768MB Ram, WinXP Pro
Laptop - iBook G3 600, 384MB Ram, Mac OS X.2.5
OS X is slow on a G3, but then WinXP is slow on a Pentium II ... passing to a G4 is a huge improvement for OS X, since the whole graphics eye-candy galore profits from the altivec unit. If you compare the newest OS'es, compere them on similar hardware. On a G3 you can better run OS 9 as on a Pentium II you can better run Win98. End of argument probably.

Cellfish,

I have read many of your posts and I too find myself wondering why you are here. Most, if not all, of your posts make you sound like a 12 year old boy. (If in fact you are 12 years old it would explain a lot.) Until now I have not deemed it necessary to respond to one of them, but I have ask that you be banned. You are clearly in violation of the site rules in regards to trolling. Go home son, and let the grown-ups talk about using their machines instead of playing with them!

Even though I am a Mac enthusiast and evengelist, I still try to reluctantly force myself to listen to the PC side. Some things are plain facts that cannot be refuted. Others are just opinions or conjecture based on heresay or bias. Here's my two cents to Cell's specific comments:

I guess it's safe to say that OS X is extremely slow, unstable and freezes a lot for the simplest of things whereas XP is fast, very stable and freezes only when the computer equipment is defective.

THE GUI IS A BIT SLOW AS OF TODAY. PANTHER AND MODERN HARDWARE IS AROUND THE CORNER AND PROMISES TO DELIVER IMPRESSIVELY. OS X IS A BRAND NEW (MORE OR LESS) OS THAT STILL NEEDS TO GROW A BIT. WE MAC USERS ARE A PATIENT BUNCH.

AS FAR AS "UNSTABLE AND FREEZES A LOT..." I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. YOU CLEARLY DO NOT USE OS X MUCH. IF YOU ARE BASING YOUR STATEMENT ON POSTS TO THIS BOARD IN THE TECH FORUMS, YOU WOULD EXPECT TO READ POSTS ABOUT FREEZES AND PANICS BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T POST WHEN EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL. SAME WOULD BE TRUE FOR A WINDOWS FORUM.

SUFFICE IT TO SAY THAT OS X IS VERY STABLE AND EXTREMELY UN-FREEZY.

Seriously though, transfer a 500 meg file from one directory to another in XP and then do the same thing in OS X. Notice X gives you a beachball and prevents you from doing anything on the system for a few seconds whereas XP is already done.

AGAIN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. I JUST TRANSFERRED A 1 GIG FILE AND GOT ABSOLUTELY NO DELAY OR INTERRUPTION OR BEACH BALL.

HAVING SAID THAT, I WILL AGREE THAT THE FINDER COULD USE A BIT MORE MULTI-THREADING AS THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THE BEACHBALL APEARS WHEN IT SHOULDN'T. AGAIN, PANTHER SHOULD DELIVER FURTHER GAINS IN THIS ROAD.

Open menus and programs in XP and then open their equivalents in OS X. Notice how horribly slow OS X is yet?

MENUS ARE MICROSCOPICALLY SLOWER. APPS ARE INDEED SLOWER TO LAUNCH. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS IMPROVE AS WELL AND EXPECT IT TO.

Try secure web sites with IE 6 and then go to that same secure sites in Safari. Safari doesn't load them properly? Oh my god!

IT'S A BETA. PLUS, THEY'RE GETTING THERE. I CAN NOW DO MY ONLINE BANKING WITH SAFARI B2.

Write a Word document in Windows and watch it crash (if ever), only to have the document reopen the second you open Word XP again. Write a Word document in OS X, watch it crash (guaranteed), reopen Word to find that you have a blank page. YOUR DOCUMENT IS LOST! HA HA HA! Search your hard drive in hopes of restoring it!

WORD HAS CRASHED LESS THAN THREE TIMES FOR ME IN TWO YEARS OF X USE. I CAN'T RECALL EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. I WANT TO SAY I WAS ABLE TO RECOVER ONE OR MORE FILES, BUT LIKE YOU, I DID LOSE ONE ORE MORE OTHERS. WHAT'S WORSE IS THAT I HAVE (RARELY) LOST WORD FILES FOR OTHER REASONS BEYOND CRASHING OR FREEZING. THIS IS A MICROSOFT PROBLEM, NOT OS X.

Buy 256 megs RAM in XP and notice how quick your system is. Get 256 for OS X and go make yourself a cup of coffee and breakfast, just opening one program will be a pain for you.

EXTRA RAM HELPS OS X TOO, THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE AS NOTICEABLE ON THE SURFACE. AGAIN, THIS IS BEING FIXED WITH PANTHER TO SOME EXTENT AND MODERN HARDWARE TO FOLLOW.

THE REAL QUESTION IS, WHAT WILL YOU SAY ONCE THESE ISSUES ARE GONE? YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT OS X IS NOT GOING TO BE SLUGGISH FOREVER. WILL YOU THEN CONCEDE THE BETTER OS TO X? IF NOT, WILL YOU AT LEAST LEAVE US ALONE?

See that's the problem, senne. He starts debates like this with some outlandish comment and then says nothing be conjecture and heresay to back them up.

Seeing as replying to trolls is pointless, might as well have a pointless reply :)

So, my reply is:
Green dog under big porch plays baseball.

Makes about as much sense as the trolls post, and alot funnier :)

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back