Why 6pm?

Carlo

All your base are belong
I was trying to organise my sister to pickup my copy of tiger, so I rang the store to pay for it and they said that it cant be sold before 6pm. Strange I thought as the shops here close at 5pm on a weekday. They are staying open until 8pm tonight.

On the apple australia website they say

Apple Unleashes “Tiger” Friday at 6:00 p.m.

Mac OS X v10.4 “Tiger,” the next major release of the world’s most advanced operating system, will go on sale Friday at 6:00 p.m. at participating Apple Authorised Resellers worldwide. Resellers will host “Tiger World Premiere” events from 6:00 p.m. offering workshops and hands-on demonstrations of Tiger’s hottest features. [29 Apr]

So my qyestion is why on earth are they limiting it to 6pm. I could understand 9pm or something.

It does not bother me, I can get it on the way home now.. just figure its strange.

I would guess time difference and net usage. If you think about peak net usage time (world wide) then 1800 would be a good time anywhere in the world. You have to think globally.

It's not a single global release time, though; it's at 6 PM here in New York, too, and in all of America's four time zones. You Australians will be some of the first to bask in the launch party glow, I guess. :) I'll have to wait a whole 12-14 hours more than you for MY launch party. Oh, the waiting seems eternity....

I don't know why they picked 6 PM. With Panther, it was midnight, which made sense. 6 PM seems awfully arbitrary. *shrug*

Its a little annoying as I'm one of those crazy guys who don't work on weekends, and there no way I'm hanging around a computer shop after work on a Friday - but then I guess I'll get all weekend to read all the various installation excitements, and can take appropriate percautions on Monday...

They meant 6PM wherever they are presenting the keynote, and that's in san francisco. I'm sure people in Europe are aggrevated asking why can't they get it at midnight or at 2AM...Go figure.

They meant 6PM wherever they are presenting the keynote, and that's in san francisco. I'm sure people in Europe are aggrevated asking why can't they get it at midnight or at 2AM...Go figure.

Um. no, it's 6pm local time.

Back