Why are mac FTP apps so poor?

markwm

Registered
Ever since switching to OS X when Panther came out I've longed for a decent FTP app but there just isn't one.

Compared to the full featured Windows programs, CutFTP Pro, WSFTP, SmartFTP, FTP Voyager etc etc all the Mac FTPs look pathetic in comparison.

I know everyone raves about Transmit, but it's kinda laughable when you place it along side some of the apps above. It's maybe awesome if you're a non pro user who wants a simple FTP app but I need more.

I'm yet to find an FTP for OS X for example that will allow me to specify filters (ie, do not upload files of type *.php) when I drag over a folder.

I think cocoatech would make a great FTP app going on the basis of PathFinder

what features specifically are you after? Perhaps if you list some, someone will know of an app that can do it. Sometimes with Mac apps the interface is stripped down to promote simplicity, leaving the more advanced features somewhat hard to find.

When I use a Windows machine I like SmartFTP and was looking for something that worked the same. I came across a lot of good programs, but the one I found I liked best and currently use is Fetch.

Jim

a smiliar app as FTPRush (windows) would be nice,
skiplist, skips empty directories..
site-to-site transfer (fxp)

Back