Why are Permissions NOT repairing fully!?

MacJuice

Registered
Hello Everyone,

Well, I went to my local Apple store and picked up my copy of Tiger and rushed back home to prep my Dualy G5x2ghz for the upgrade.

I have always repaired permissions both before and after any software install and especially before system updates, always with great success (i.e. no problems whatsoever)

However, today, for whatever reason, I thought I would repair the permissions a second time, right after doing it the first time, just to make sure that everything was fixed before moving forward with my upgrade (I plan on doing a straight upgrade) and I got the message below, indicating that the permissions were not quite fully fixed.

##############################################
Repairing permissions for “G5”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete
#############################################

Thinking that a third time would do the trick, I repaired them again immediately after reading that message, but the exact same message showed up after the repairing process finishes, and keeps showing up even after 6 or 7 attempts. ?

Any idea why my permissions are never quite repaired? Is this an indication that I have some serious issues on my drive? Any suggestions?

Cheers.

JM

10.3.9 / QT7 Pro.

CDutil is nothing to worry about. And as long as the 10.4 Disk Utility on your 10.4, and you don't notice any permissions related behavior problems, ie see only that permissions error, I wold not worry too much about it.

I hope so Gia. Th only reason I have a doubt is because all the other times I repaired permissions before I had never seen that message, or any other message, before. Anyways, I'll take my chance and install Tiger in a bit. Thanks for the reply. :)

You can ignore the one's stating "Special" whatever (permissions or uids/gids). Think of them as the exceptions to the rule.

If you read those messages, you'll see that there's no problem at all with the permissions of those files -- it's telling you that those files weren't touched. Those are simply informative messages alerting you to directories and files that are using special, non-standard permissions for reasons such as patching a security hole. Those messages are harmless and the files in question have their correct permissions set.

If the permissions are wrong with a file, you'd see a message stating that the permissions are wrong, followed by a message stating that the permissions were repaired, or they were not repaired in case of an error.

Back