Why buy an Apple?

i bought my mac because:
1) OS X. it's cool, it's stable, it just works. people gawk over it often because of all the bells and whistles. i plugged in my printer, and it worked (i still can't get this printer to work on my pc- it's a network printer. my wintel machine can't find a network). i called Roadrunner once for tech support on my cable modem, the troubleshooting steps they had were "is the ethernet cable plugged into the card?" "yes" "hmm... well, according to this, that's all you need to do."
2) iApps. i can't live without them. i love the jukebox system of itunes (no messing with files!), the ease of use (albeit slow) of iphoto, the simplicity of creating movies in imovie, i haven't played with iDVD2 yet, but i can't wait until i can make a DVD with all my recorded episodes of cowboy bebop!
3) iPod. EVERYONE wants my iPod. it never leaves my side.
4) hardware. the hardware is generally all integrated, so everything just works. firewire and usb is a GREAT way to upgrade a system. external HD, external floppy, external burner, external TV recording, etc is great because they usually don't require software to install. you can remove it as you please, etc. i don't know why PC people say macs are impossible to upgrade. if you want to start yankin' out motherboards and video cards, you can do that on a tower G4.

... basically, it just works; and i'm the envy of all my friends. ;)

Originally posted by azosx
The more I think about XP, the more I kind of miss it. As for product activation, like you said, it's a much scarier idea in theory then it actually turned out to be. I can understand MS wanting to protect itself. You give the end user an inch and they walk all over you.

When MS starts to actually infringe on my freedom and not just in theory, I'll just switch platforms completely. Until then, I'll continue to happily use Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and OS X.

Personally, I don't mind Linux. In fact, I can actually use it. The only thing that bothers me is how much of what I usually use every day changes once Linux is my OS. The extra keys on my kb not working, the extra buttons on my mouse, my graphics tablet... it's a pain really but I understand why there's such a problem.

As for product activation. Frankly, I'm all for it. I paid for Windows XP Home, I paid for Office XP and I paid for Frontpage. I don't want people making copies of the programs I paid for and using them for free. Screw them. They're mine, I paid for them, let them get their own licenses. I understand that some people may want to share, but when you spend so much money on a product and someone expects to use it for free 'just because', they deserve to have Microsoft sh*t all over them. If I was running Microsoft, I'd probably be way more strict with piracy that MS already is.

Andre

I get razed about using a machine that only has an 8% market share. It is a shame that a lot of people select their computer using market share as their point.

M$ has done a good job with XP. My husband has installed that on his Dell. A smooth operation compared to the 98 and ME he did work on. But to add equipment, forget it.

All of the points you gave is exactly what I use to convince someone to buy a Mac. Even the learning curve is outstanding compared to a Windoz machine. (go to start to shut down??)

I volunteer on a free tech support web site(www.protonic.com) and you would not believe the amount of questions and problems with Windows(hundreds!). The Mac section has a question posted maybe once a week, if that. And most of the time those Mac questions are answered with just one email. Problem solved. :D

Originally posted by Cheryl
I get razed about using a machine that only has an 8% market share. It is a shame that a lot of people select their computer using market share as their point.

I bet you would get down right beaten if they knew that 8% market share was actually between 2.3-2.6%. Ouch.

People don't buy computers based on market share. They buy computers based on what's available and what they can afford. That's like saying not everyone buys Mercedes-Benz because their market share is smaller than Ford or GMC. I'm sure we'd all like a Mercedes right?

You can go into just about any consumer electronics retail store and buy a PC compared to the few select retail stores that actually sell Macs. Same with Mercedes. You'll have 10 Ford dealerships in your city but only one Mercedes-Benz. It's all based on demand.

Second. Rarely do you find a Mercedes dealership next to a Ford dealership. The same reason why Apple doesn't like to sell Macs next to PCs. People who go looking at Fords typically don't have Mercedes in mind as well.

My point is Apple has tried it's damnedest to be different than a PC and they've succeeded. At the cost of a 2.6% market share.

Whether it's PCs and Macs, Fords and Mercedes or unleaded and diesel fuel, they're all basically the same thing but at the same time, meet completely different demands of individual consumers.

I am actually a mac-newbie. I recently got my taste of mac with my ibook and the reason I changed was because ibook is one of the best laptops I've used but OSX was the one that really pushed me to it. The thought of learning a new OS didn't appeal to me, but since OSX was UNIX based, I figured if I hate the GUI, I could always muck around in console since I had some experience with linux/unix. To my surprise, the UI is so beautiful and intuitive I felt just like at home. Not to mention the added bonus of never compiling kernels/driver modules or messing with any .conf files, but everything just working when you plug in peripherals or pop in the CD, all with the stability of UNIX.

It's also kind of nice to know that if my IE crashes, it won't bring the entire OS down in another mysterious "fatal exception" error (although Win98SE is the last Windows I've used so the later ones are probably more stable)

I design a lot.
I want to get my poster done fast.
I like to spend 1% of my time installing fonts and opening Photoshop.
Then I like to spend 99% of my time designing.

That's why I have a Mac.
The Mac does not bore me with the computer side of design.

But of course if you like to spend 75% of your time installing .pfb/.pfm fonts, trying to get ATM to handle them all without errors, if you like to track down ICC profiles that disappear in your hard drive, if you like to call all your friends to find where are the Gamma settings on XP, and if you eventually like spending 25% designing, then that's your choice.

I have friends on PC. Their own choice. They like hunting bugs, configuring the PC under DOS, and so on. I don't, I like browsing tons of stock graphics under iPhoto :)

So I tell them that if one day they quit blue screens for stock graphics they can join me.

:D

Okay, I'll jump in.

As I was reading this thread, Outlook Express on my Compaq said, "Unknown error has occured."

Also, why is it that when I open a new window (such as going from Outlook to Explorer) the XP window manager leaves contents of the old window in the new one for a few seconds before it FINALLY updates. This is SLOPPY. XP is SLOPPY and UGLY.

OS X is so pretty! It's so pretty! Sorry, but looks matter. I prefer my iBook even though the hard drive is slow.

Still, the solution is to get one of each. Or, get two Macs and one PC. That would be even better.

Doug

Originally posted by Annihilatus
For starters, I don't want this to sound insulting. I would just like to start a thread in which Mac users would list their reasons for choosing the Mac over a PC and reasons WHY somebody should choose a Mac over a PC. This should be pretty interesting.

For myself, the aesthetics of both the physical computer and its operating, as well as the fluidity of its operation attract me. The security and stability further enhance my attraction

I'd like to read what others have to write about their little box.

I bought my computer to use for various tasks. Work, play, etc. In terms of work I need to be productive, not having to worry about crashing every 20 minutes or about any of the numerous other standard Windows issues. Speed is nice, but not a necessity. Being able to utilize the computer for more than 6 to 12 months is also nice. The 300 G3 DT I have was new technology in or around 1998. My old job saw me stuck with a 300 P-II Gateway with Win98SE. I had to reformat and install all programs and files almost every month or two to maintain the speed and integrity of the machine. As far as speed, it was slow as he||! The 300 g3 runs Photoshop 6 or InDesign 1.5 under Classic in OSX much, much better than the Win98SE machine ran Photoshop 5.5 or InDesign 5.5.

Security is a big issue, and need I say anything about Micro$uck's security?

Finally, I just plain like them better for all the reasons above and for other insignificant ones.

Originally posted by hulkaros
I found out the truth: The PCs no matter what you do to them or from where you buy them or even what OS they have (Win2k server editions included) they misbehave! For no apparent reason even if you reformat them, clean-install apps and OSes they work like bombs: They just tic-tac then BOOM even if you or someone else didn't press the button ;(

I couldn't agree more! Actually, to everthing in the original message, but especially the quote above.

Back