Why couldn't Apple go With AMD?

Watching the keynote again I noticed there's no mention of any specific Intel CPU.
A P4 was in his demo box, and in development systems, and will certainly make it on some systems, but I wonder if the PowerMac will use Xeons or Pentium Ds first.
I'm just wondering what "great PPC products are yet to come" as he said.

Sirtovin said:
actually AMD could sue Apple if Apple decides not to go with any AMD products in the future... due to Intel who will have a monopoly now on the PC/APPLE computer market.

Wow, you are actually serious! Unbelievable! Not even in America would a supplier be able to sue a customer for not purchasing their products. Apple does not control the chip market, and AMD can still market their processors to others and to apple, whether they buy them or not.

Oscar Castillo said:
Watching the keynote again I noticed there's no mention of any specific Intel CPU.
A P4 was in his demo box, and in development systems, and will certainly make it on some systems, but I wonder if the PowerMac will use Xeons or Pentium Ds first.
I'm just wondering what "great PPC products are yet to come" as he said.

i noticed this: he only said Pentium only when he had to - it was always intel chips when he was trying to sell it. i reckon the only thing to replace the PowerMacs dual G5s are it's closest rivals - the dual xeons

I didn't mean to make a big brew-haha, but AMD does make X86 so does Intel so I was just wondering what AMD, is going to do. Intel probably will go with xeons... or a new Intel chip made for Mac only etc.

Linux this and linux that, linux linux linux -blah blah blah blah blah!!!!!!

If i am ever stuck in room with a bunch of linux fanboys with no way of escaping thier diatribe, i will surely have to shoot myself in the head!!!

Linux sucks smurf out a dead smurfs smurf! :D

Sirtovin said:
1. Will Intel use their own new main boards?
2. Will Intel use a 64 bit chip? (They should since OS-X Tiger is 64/32 bit Operating System)
3. Will AMD sue Intel for not being able to have a fair share in the Computer Market? Intel and AMD are the 2 top Windows seller PC makers... (If AMD, won't be able to produce their own version for Apple than I do see a lawsuit of some kind in play.)

1) Probably not. While the dev kits are pretty standard Mini-ATX boards in a G5 case, the final product won't be. Just take a look at the XBox 360... it runs on a Dual G5 system for the dev kit, but hardly the final hardware.
2) This has yet to be seen. Apple doesn't have OS X running on x86-64 /yet/. However, with 2 years or so before the high-end switches over, they could do just that. The Donthans or Xeons are pretty good for this.
3) That is like Walmart suing Safeway because a family decided to strike a deal with Safeway (club card) for the deals. This just isn't how things work. AMD couldn't sue Apple either, since that is like Walmart suing Safeway customers stating that they didn't buy pickles at Walmart. There is just no legal ground, as this behavior happens all the time. The /customer/ is supposed to be able to pick the product, the company should not have a right to force a customer to pick theirs. (MPAA and RIAA would like to think otherwise, but look at their reputation lately)

1) No. Apple will design new motherboard and using Intel chip processor only.
2) Low End Mac will use 32 bits address and some 64 bits. High End will use full 64 bits address.
3) Can we sue M$ for not using PowerPC? (hahaha) Or can we sue McDonld for not using RedBull. (HAHAH!) No. AMD cannot sue IBM for this reason.

I have been reading that some people are not interested in buying a new Mac until the Intel switch is figured out. I am still buying a new PB soley because I think MAC OSX rocks, and like Apple Hardware. Even after the first Macs hit the market with Intel inside, it will be awhile before any one knows the consequent. Like everyone I was shocked when I heard the news. Apple must feel the switch is necessary to remain competitive, and perhaps this switch is for the best. Intel does have the best road map for the future, even if the PPC process is better.

g/re/p said:
Linux this and linux that, linux linux linux -blah blah blah blah blah!!!!!!

If i am ever stuck in room with a bunch of linux fanboys with no way of escaping thier diatribe, i will surely have to shoot myself in the head!!!

Linux sucks smurf out a dead smurfs smurf! :D

Remember that Linux comes from Unix - and Mac OS X is Unix-based.

Regarding you sig --
if you don't like Linux and you wanna wipe the system, you must do as root
rm -rf *
on the root directory of the drive.

Yes, but the intel Macs won't have Open Firmware. They're using an intel chipset, according to several sources (including Apple's developer notes on universal binaries).

fryke said:
Yes, but the intel Macs won't have Open Firmware. They're using an intel chipset, according to several sources (including Apple's developer notes on universal binaries).

If you say so (and I got rid of my comment because I realized I'd posted without reading the entire thread). I'm sure you know more about this than I do :).

An Intel chipset means they can't use Open Firmware?

Best,
Tim

No, it means it makes not much sense... The goal for Apple should be to use intel's integrated platforms (cheap, available). There's a BIOS that basically is there for what Open Firmware is for on the traditional PPC Macs.

fryke said:
No, it means it makes not much sense... The goal for Apple should be to use intel's integrated platforms (cheap, available). There's a BIOS that basically is there for what Open Firmware is for on the traditional PPC Macs.

So the versions of Mac OS for the Intel Macs will likely use that BIOS. Interesting. Hmm. Thanks for the info.

Best,
Tim

um. as i understand it Linux is a "unix-like" OS. that's the whole point. to have the same features etc, but without licensing the code.

HomunQlus:
You are right. Linus has used Unix and didnt like how Unix designed. so He redesigned new os that become new Linux. Fact that Unix is way stronger and be there for long time than Linux.

Back