why do i get this IP config error?? possible airport express issue?

crypee d

Registered
192.168.0.101 in use by 0:11:24:4:c4:a7, DHCP Server 192.168.0.1

it happens every once in awhile and deletes my itunes connection with airport express. is this someone leeching from my wireless access point?

Possibly yes but I don't see why it would give you that message instead of just giving you/the thief 192.168.0.102...

I would go into your AirPort Express config and enable MAC filtering, see if that fixes the problem.

how do you do mac filtering?

it is like my airport express is trying to get an ip and the first slot on the wap. i only want the AE to shuttle tunes to my stereo.

Are you not using your AirPort for internet connectivity as well ?

Yeah, it's French, but this screenshot should give you an idea. Just click the + button and hit This Computer to clone your MAC address.

Voilà, nearly foolproof security.

Attachments

• Image 1.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 13
thanks for all the help mike! yo that screenshot looks familiar... what is it?

i notice that you too have a linksys wap and AE. i am just using the AE for my stereo so does it need to be hook't up to the internet with an IP? my network status says (when my AE is turned on) says i do not have an IP and can not get on the internet.

also, when i switch my AE off i don't get the IP error i spoke of. but when i do that same error below pops right up. i am confused and wonder if the mac filtering (still don't know what this means) will straighten it out?

bear with me, i know i am messing something up.

Ok I'm guessing you're using wireless for internet as well ? You can't be connected simultaneously to two wireless networks, and your AirPort Express' streaming counts as a full-fledged network. And yes, unless your airPort is connected to the internet, you won't be able to get on the internet through it.

My linksys isn't wireless actually, I use my airport express for that.

What I believe you can do is configure your airport express to connect to your Linksys' wireless network, then you should be able to access it via your linksys' wireless connection. I don't have two WAPs so I can't test it myself, but it basically consists of setting up your airport express like this (screenshot) or something similar.

These two shots come from the AirPort Admin Utility. The important pull-down box (mode sans fil) should be set to "Connect to an existing wireless network", then enter your linksys' wireless network name and any relevalt security information, like WEP password, if necessary.

Attachments

• Image 1.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 9
Back