Why does Finder SUCK???

That's all good and well - and I like EasyFind as a fix for my biggest spotlight problems - but it doesn't make the Finder "not suck". I guess most of the things about why some people think the Finder needs fixing have been called here so far. Then again, these things have been mentioned since Mac OS X 10.0 at least (at least John Siracusa from arstechnica.com has cried out again and again about the FTFF-problem since the early days of OS X and some of us with him) - and Apple has _not_ given the Finder the attention asked for. In the past, what, 7 years? SEVEN years. To me, it just sounds like Apple's treating it like a dead horse. Don't beat it. There had been talk about a true Cocoa Finder solving all problems since 10.0 (again), and it simply never came. Maybe we _will_ have to wait 'til Mac OS Eleven for "something completely different".

The Finder needs an overhaul. GUI vise, the interface needs to be consistent through out. Also, how you view folders, and their content needs to be more consistent. Preview view, I feel Windows does this better, needs work. Networking is another area, it is clumsy on the current Finder.
I truly hope Leopard addresses these issues.

Ok, the Finder sucketh, granted.....and it may still be so in Leopard. So what!?? It's up to those of us who find it so to come up with decent alternatives or workarounds.
I've been trying out Path Finder, mentioned earlier in this thread....I've never heard of it before.
Path Finder IS amazingly good, possibly as good as it gets regarding Finders! Maybe Apple should buy them out and make it an integral part of their latest OS.
Anyway, I'm purchasing a license....that app rocks!

Ok, the Finder sucketh, granted.....and it may still be so in Leopard. So what!?? It's up to those of us who find it so to come up with decent alternatives or workarounds.

With certain aspects I agree, but with regard to features like Spotlight simply not working properly, or as advertised, I think it's up to Apple to fix them.

Path Finder is very good, and I intend buying a license too. It's great for those times when Finder can't cut it!

The switching views as you navigate around folders - if I pick icon view, I don't want column view appearing when I change folders.

As far as this point goes, sometimes its really useful to have different windows open with different views. Perhaps a better solution would be to change all finder windows by [option]-clicking to change the view?

Can we renew this thread?

All I want - and is it too hard to ask, is the ability to right-click and create a new file (even a text document would be nice).

Its quite terrible, finder - in that it lacks one simple feature: the convenience of creating new files on the fly.

Why can't you create an alias in the dock for Word, TextEdit, Pages, etc, etc?? One click & you're there!
First post, so possibly you are a new Mac user? Windows users right click, Mac users occasionally control click. :)

Back