Why does iTunes lie to me?

When you select a track from the iTunes library and hit delete, it asks you if you want to "Keep files" or "move to trash". However, if you choose "move to trash", it just deletes it -- it doesn't move it to the trash at all.

Either there is some super secret iTunes trash that I don't know about, or iTunes lies when it says it will move files to the trash.

Not a big deal, just irks me :)

I noticed this as well, after saying move them to the Trash the icon looked empty and the Empty Trash option was greyed out. However after noticing my dwindling hard drive space I opened the Trash and there they were and I was then able to delete them, or recover the one I hadn't meant to delete.

Never found what the cause was though and it doesn't do it every time.

Whenever I do this, and over many years, I have always found the files in the trash. Obviously this s of no help but just to say it does work on my computers.

I've never even bothered to _look_ at the trash. I just hit Cmd-Opt-Shift-Backspace in Finder after iTunes says it has moved the files to the trash. This gives the nice sound of trash being emptied, so I've got feedback that everything's fine. Whether the trash icon earlier on showed it had content or not...

It isn't just iTunes. Whenever an app moves something to the
trash (instead of a finder-move) the trash icon stays pristine.
No dross filling it to show you have something to empty.

Back