Why does Mail make 100 drafts per message without asking?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
My Panther's Mail always makes at least 10 (incremental) copies of every single message I sent in my IMAP drafts folder. One I just sent had copies saved to drafts at 12:41, 42, 44, 46, 47 (not a constant increment). This is *really annoying* because if I save a REAL draft to complete later, I have to sift through sometimes hundreds of other scraps to find it.

Why does it do that? If this is a failsafe function, why doesn't it erase all the temp drafts once the message is succesfully sent? I don't see any option other than "Store Drafts on server" in the preferences that deals with drafts, and nothing to deal with auto-saving messages.

Also, I'm using Mail with an IMAP Apple Mail Server (my host uses it), could this interaction be the problem? There are other known issues with Mail and AMS (like an inability to check for new mail on the same IMAP connection)?

PS I need to use IMAP because I check my mail from all over the place and need access to it ; the POP3 'leave mail on server' trick just doesn't cut it.

Thanks!

Back