Why doesn't Safari 3 append .com to domains anymore?

freaky

OSXer
It looks as though Safari 3 no longer appends the www. and .com to domains when just typing in the main name. For example, typing msnbc used to automatically go to www.msnbc.com. Now it comes up with Verizon's search page.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It is extremely annoying and is happening on all of my Macs that have Safari 3.

No sure why your Macs would all be doing that (not defaulting with .com) as that is not the norm for Safari 3.
Maybe you have added some plug-in or other software, such as SafariStand, or Saft? If you have one or both of those, try removing them, or make sure you have current updates for those.

I don't think it was adding .com per default. It was adding it when the system gave no reply. If your provider is forwarding the demand to its own search engine, then Safari will not complete it.

It works the same as ever for me. I think Chevy's right.

It sounds to me more like this is Verizon's doing (assuming Verizon is your ISP). It could be that their DNS server redirects incomplete domains to the search page instead of trying to complete them or returning an error.

To test this theory, you can try changing your DNS server to a third-party one like OpenDNS.

It sounds to me more like this is Verizon's doing (assuming Verizon is your ISP). It could be that their DNS server redirects incomplete domains to the search page instead of trying to complete them or returning an error.

To test this theory, you can try changing your DNS server to a third-party one like OpenDNS.

I tested it in Firefox and it did the same thing so it was definately Verizon who was causing the problem. How stupid of them to do that just to show their cheesy search results page. I changed the DNS server in OS X to use OpenDNS' and it now works! I just wish I could find how to change the DNS servers in this piece of junk Actiontec router that I am forced to use for FiOS.

I set my DNS Servers to OpenDNS servers

But still proxy server of my company returning the same proxy error page:
Technical Information (for support personnel)
Error Code 11004: Host not found
Background: This error indicates that the gateway could not find the IP address of the website you are trying to access, possibly due to lack of information in the DNS server.
Date: 3/14/2008 2:07:36 PM [GMT]
Server: prxy-2.SOME-COMPANY.com
Source: DNS error
Any other thought?

Back