Why I don't think Panther 7B85 is GM

My partner in crime has two boxes that shipped with 2MX cards. He's going to load 7B85 on them over the long weekend and let me know what he finds on Tuesday. I suspect they'll be fine though.

BTW- I'm not at all trying to minimize the impact this has on you, nor the legitimacy of your claim. I do suspect, as do you, that this may be a tough one for Apple to fix as their main concern is making sure everything is working properly on OEM configured boxes. I do hope that they, or someone else even, are able to offer a fix soon for you and the others affected by this unfortunate situation…

Can you not use, or do you not have any more, the Rage 128 that came with your machine? While not as beefy as some of the newer cards, at least you wouldn't get the annoying artifacts that the 2MX is creating… Exposé works surprisingly well with the G4 500/ Rage 128 system we have in our OS X Deployment Team staging area here…

Which machines does he have? If he has an older machine like me with the GF2MX I bet it won't work. Now does he have the GF2MX 400 ? That's what I have, and it may make a difference, but I don't know.

If it's anything more than a 500MHz G4, it will probably work fine.

I do have my Rage 128 card, but I didn't want to have to stoop to using it ;) Panther does run extreamly well for me even with that card as I had it installed for some of the earlier betas.

I guess I might have to use it for a while until(if ever) Apple fixes this bug.

Originally posted by iscaro
I still have problems with Safari 1.1 on 7B85... installed on my Dual and even an iMac 17" 1Ghz...

Still stops working when I open a menu... while version 1.0 work ok with the system...

At least mine cannot be the Final...
10.2.8 is not good on network... 7B85 looks better for me, but I have to test more...

7B85 is final. I have it installed on my 17" iMac and Pismo Powerbook and Safari works great. You must have a bad install.

No, no, he's right. Safari 1.1 doesn't continue to load pages when you open a menu. Yet, that's no proof at all that 7B85 is not the final. By now, I have the feeling that it _is_ the final version. If this Safari behaviour is seen as a bug (it might also be intentional...) it will be fixed in a Safari 1.1.1 update or something.

The graphics card problem might take some time, but if you report(ed) it to Apple, it will probably be fixed in 10.3.1.

What I find strange is that updating _to_ 7B85 was possible. I didn't try every build, of course, but at least an installed 7B80 could be updated to 7B85. And that 7B80 updated my 7B74 clean install. We'll see. Hopefully soon.

Yeah I have a major Safari bug; sometimes it will load all the letters on top of each other. Restarting Safari fixes it. Quite annoying though.

Originally posted by fryke
No, no, he's right. Safari 1.1 doesn't continue to load pages when you open a menu. Yet, that's no proof at all that 7B85 is not the final. By now, I have the feeling that it _is_ the final version. If this Safari behaviour is seen as a bug (it might also be intentional...) it will be fixed in a Safari 1.1.1 update or something.

The graphics card problem might take some time, but if you report(ed) it to Apple, it will probably be fixed in 10.3.1.

What I find strange is that updating _to_ 7B85 was possible. I didn't try every build, of course, but at least an installed 7B80 could be updated to 7B85. And that 7B80 updated my 7B74 clean install. We'll see. Hopefully soon.

I do not consider this a bug in Safari. I mean, think about it. If a page is loading and you pull down a menu, Safari assumes you either want to a) go to another page or b) quit, etc. Why keep loading a page in this case? This, to me, is a feature. If I load a page and change my mind, I don't want the whole page to load before I switch to something different.

Here is an attachment of the weird allignment in Safari. ##These are all the characters from 1 to 0 but with shift pressed:

!@#$%^&*()

Attachments

• picture 3.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 23
Come on! If you have a big address bar and many bookmarks, you want to see what you ahve inside... or oyu want to check you bookmark menu...

Or even chenge preferences... it cannot be that way! :mad:

Safari 1.0 was much better... and you could say faster than 1.1 if you look at menues...

iscaro: I don't see it that way... Safari 1.1 is faster for me than 1.0. I rarely use the menus, anyway - and at 600 Kbps, pages load fast enough for me, so they're done most of the time before I feel the need to, uh, go to the prefs. (Guess that's the only thing I really use Safari's menus for...) But what's important is whether _Apple_ sees it as a bug or not. Report it as a bug, though, and they might rethink it, anyway.

Well, I have a 10Mbit connection... it is really fast ok, but not always... and I have many bookmarks too... and I want to look at them and choose them while a big page loads up... that's all... 1.0 was good and fast... 1.1 is faster if you leave it on it's own... but if you want to open up something, the way you are used to do it with 1.0... :confused:

It is not Apple-like to take good things away from an app... not for me... but I can get used to it...

People from other browsers are not going to like it at all !!!!!! Especially if they have an old Mac... not a good one like I do...

In the mean time you could click the Show Bookmarks widget in the Bookmarks Bar while a page is loading.
In my limited testing on a 56K dialup connection, this seems to work.

I have submitted feedback/bug report to Apple on this. If you happen to know ayone with ADC access I would suggest you have them do the same… or get used to it working as it does in its current state.

And just a ... let's say: strange idea... If you're loading a page and choose a bookmark from the menu. Does it really matter if the page is still loaded? You're going AWAY from the currently loading page, anyway, by choosing a new bookmark.

Back