Why is coreservicesd eating up so much RAM?

andychrist

devil's plaything
And why is VM over 30GB?

Okay, some history:

Got an eMac 1.42 GHz, 2MB RAM with Tiger pre-installed. Used Migration Assistant to transfer over my settings and such from my old iMac G3, also running Tiger. This worked fine.

Then I got an external HD from Newer Technology and installed Leopard onto that. Also seemed fine, but when I attempted to transfer my stuff to this drive from the eMac's internal [Tiger] drive, again using Migration Assistant, none of my settings or third party utilities got copied over-- had to install everything manually.

Still, eventually I got everything set up on the Leopard volume as close as possible to my Tiger System. And initially I was thrilled that the utilities that had occasionally been hogging RAM on 10.4 were under control in 10.5.

But now, as you can see in the attached thumbnails, coreservicesd is suddenly spiking to almost one and a half GB, and Virtual Memory is over 30 GB. At the same time, SteerMouse looses the ability in Safari to Command Click, or to Forward/Back. And funny, but in a Guest User account, Command-click using the wheel button still works just fine, even though SteerMouse is not enabled.

Rebooting brings everything back to normal, but not for long.

Any suggestions, short of re-installing Leopard?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Attachments

• Activity Monitor.jpg
    Activity Monitor.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I already updated last night with the delta, which went off without a hitch while I caught some shuteye. :)

Anyway, coreservicesd is now behaving itself, and my trackball is working in Safari again.

w00t.

Back