Why is OSX so hopeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I kindly remind all of you that the flaming/trolling board rules for me _also_ include being too rude to a user. I mean: Just consider that he _might_ be a switcher who _might_ be fed up with some problems on the Mac that _might_ exist for the unexperienced user. In my opinion, those problems _do_ exist, so it's not too much to answer such a thread in a kind way. I agree that he could have phrased his post more adequately, but that doesn't mean we should be so de- and offensive. So: PLEASE, get a grip, y'all...

on a more serious note, i will second that his problems seem "strange" to say the least. i have only ever used the terminal to unsuccessfully tinker with the bones of the system, and i can count them on my hand. everything else has a gui.

permissions repairing is not something i regularly do, because it doen't seem to affect anything.

finder is crap, but it works. it doesn't and hasn't ever deleted any of my files without me telling it to (once by accident, but at the end of the day, i told it to, so that's my fault).

in conclusion, to the poster in question, please specify your problems, and we will be sure to fix them, making your mac what it should be, the most stable, reliable and pleasent computer you will ever use.

Maybe, Well according to his attitude
RacerX said:
Actually guys... I would bet that this person doesn't even own a Mac.

Odds are this person is seeding the boards here so that he'll have something to point to from a PC forum where he is having an argument about Macs.

:rolleyes:

But you've gotta love the 15 years of Windows XP statement! I mean, if you go back much more than 10 years you are back to most people running Windows 3.x on top of DOS.

It is stuff like that that makes me smile. :D

I'm new to macs, but I have a long history with *nixes (Sun OS, Solaris, Various Linux distros, etc.)......

I have to wonder if your playing around in terminal has caused some of these problems. I play around in the terminal here and there, but I haven't been there to fix anything.

Why not list what specific problems are occuring, and learn from the folks here on how to fix them?

IF it's a hardware problem (and not user error), then Apple would certainly fix it if it's under warranty.

On a side note, I'm not sure why the message was posted. If you are really going to sell it, then sell it and be done with it. If you are looking for help with these problems, then please ask.

fryke said:
May I kindly remind all of you that the flaming/trolling board rules for me _also_ include being too rude to a user. I mean: Just consider that he _might_ be a switcher who _might_ be fed up with some problems on the Mac that _might_ exist for the unexperienced user. In my opinion, those problems _do_ exist, so it's not too much to answer such a thread in a kind way. I agree that he could have phrased his post more adequately, but that doesn't mean we should be so de- and offensive. So: PLEASE, get a grip, y'all...

Oops.. sorry. I kinda got sucked in to the argument on my last post here. There's nothing wrong with Windows.. it's just that we are mostly mac people here.. and we like our macs. Nothing personal.

So I read through the whole thread because I thought maybe I could get some help for my broken Word program. I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say you repair the permissions. could you briefly explain this to me? I am desperate to figure it out.
I already posted a thread asking for help with this problem, but for some reason, a lot of my questions are ignored on this forum. I figure it's because everyone thinks my questions are too stupid or basic to warrant any help.

So far I have found that there is a paucity of help for new users for the mac OS
Don't get me wrong, am in love with my ibook, and I could never go back to a PC, but if I were new to the windows OS there is a great deal of help out there on the net for any problem that I might have. I have only found forums like this for help, and they are really geared more for experienced users. And maybe I don't know my way around yet, but I don't see much help from mac.

once again, can anyone suggest somewhere for me to look for help? Not that I am trying to get you to advertise for competing sites or forums, but it seems pretty obvious that I don't belong here.

hello! welcome to the mac.

this site has abosultely everything you should want to know about the mac, and all the ways to use it. it already exists, so first all, use the search feature, it's very powerful, and you find most questions have been answered many times over.

the Permissions Repair is done from the application Disk Utility, found inside your Applications Folder, under Utilities.

From here, select your main hard drive, and hit the "Repair Permissions" button. it takes about 30 seconds.

EdFx said:
[Everything he said]
Face it, this was posted simply to Troll.

morning said:
So I read through the whole thread because I thought maybe I could get some help for my broken Word program. I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say you repair the permissions.

once again, can anyone suggest somewhere for me to look for help? Not that I am trying to get you to advertise for competing sites or forums, but it seems pretty obvious that I don't belong here.
Don't worry. There are TONS of Mac related forums out there. This is only ONE of them. Before I switched from Windows I didn't know about them and never ran across them in my travels. Now I can't go anywhere without finding good info about Macs and forums about Apple. It's out there. At least you didn't post this to troll like Ed did.

Not to advertise for other forums here, I visit them all and find them all full of knowledgable people, but here's a few more:
http://www.macaddict.com/forums/ - My first Mac forum.
http://www.macfora.com/
http://forums.macnn.com/
http://forums.appleaddict.com/ - MacAddict Refugees
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/8300945231 - Macintoshian Achaia
http://forums.applenova.com/
http://www.spymac.com/forums/ - Unfortunately added for good measure

So you see, there isn't a paucity of Mac help. (Thanks for teaching me that word BTW) There's a plethora of it. You just need to know where to look. Add all those to your Safari or FireFox or Flock or Opera or Camino or OmniWeb bookmarks or favorites. They will come in handy. Also remember, Google is your friend. I rarely have problems finding what I need with a few words typed into that Safari search box.

Good luck! :D

Lt Major Burns said:
hello! welcome to the mac.

this site has abosultely everything you should want to know about the mac, and all the ways to use it. it already exists, so first all, use the search feature, it's very powerful, and you find most questions have been answered many times over.

the Permissions Repair is done from the application Disk Utility, found inside your Applications Folder, under Utilities.

From here, select your main hard drive, and hit the "Repair Permissions" button. it takes about 30 seconds.
Thanks Lt Major,
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I appreciate all of the help I have received from this site. I guess I am just frustrated and embarrassed because I don't even know what help to ask for. Everyone here seems like such savvy enthusiasts. I know that my questions are really basic, so that's why I was asking for for a place to get that kind of instruction.

Thanks for your suggestions Jasoco,

Don't feed the troll.

Its just someone making stuff up. Notice the post count? (1). Who really has six months of permission problems and crashes on an expensive G5 without once taking it in for repair, consulting with a forum, or looking for a fix somewhere. This is pure nonsense and flame baiting.

Maybe God said he Posted a negative and his G5 went Kaphoof!

But as fryke said, hehas a right to post etc...

He must of been angry about his situataion and needed to get it out and writing is a good anger thing. If the original poster is reading this, don't feel a shame and ignore this thread and just ask here on this forum for assistance, I'm sure it can be worked out and the G5 won't be a waste of money ;)

Ive had a mac for almost 6months now, ive never had anywhere near the problems ive had with a windows based PC. Easy, FAST, its completly USER friendly. But you should updated all your firmware and do a APPLE UPDATER to make sure your UP TO DATE on all your software. Ill never go back to buying windows PC's. Hope you get your problem fixed, there are plenty of people on this forum that will help you get your G5 back on the road.

Ok, I admit it was Monday morning and for the nth time my New Dual processor G5 was doing something unexpected again. But I still have to ask, a few of the most annoying problems are as follows:

Half the time I save a file to the desktop it doesn't appear, often for hours. When I then try to save the file again OSX tells me 'a file with that name already exists' but as I can't see (it's not there) it I can't do anything with it. This happens intermittently when I save to a regular folder too, though seemingly less often. If I reboot the files appear. I've looked everywhere for a fix for this but can't find one.

File modification dates are often totally wrong. OSX only seems to update its file records when prompted, and sometimes not even then. This is a very basic operation for most computers.

The 'fix permission' utility doesn't work on any of my localhost files and requires repeated visits to the Terminal to set permissions correctly. Why on earth should any computer need a 'fix permissions utility' anyway? Is it because the permissions on a Mac keep getting corrupted?

Setting up PHP (to work properly) requires masses of Terminal time, this despite being bundled with the OS!?

I currently own a Celeron processor laptop PC whose performance is about equal to that of this G5. I can only assume this is because the Mac spends most of its time thinking about its own corrupt file system or making things look pretty, both a waste of time.

So, application performance is relatively poor on the G5 considering the hardware at its disposal, and basic file OS operations are riddled with bugs (just google 'Finder bugs'). What's the point of this machine exactly?

Do you really want me to answer your questions the way you posed them? Okay. Here we go.

1.) The missing files on the Desktop.
Searching this forum or the web would reveal to you that the Finder sucks. I agree. The Finder sucks. Sometimes, it just doesn't update properly. Usually, quitting the Finder and restarting it helps, no need to reboot the whole machine. It sucks, but so does Windows (in other places)...

2.) File modification dates.
I dunno about that. Mine are correct. Specific file types? Where do you notice this?

3.) Fix permissions.
There isn't a "fix permissions utility", you mean Disk Utility. It does the _same_ task as the Terminal, so it shouldn't matter which one you're using. Just use Disk Utility if you hate the Terminal. Some things repeatedly pop up there, and this is a known issue, no problem, everything's fine about it. Although here, too, I agree that Apple should fix it. It should *NOT* be necessary to "fix permissions" all the time, the system should take care of it.

4.) PHP.
Well, it's PHP.

5.) Celeron comparison.
So the felt performance is on par with your dual processor G5, eh? Well: Then *SELL* the G5 and get more Celerons. Nothing else to answer here.

6.) "What's the point of this machine exactly?"
You obviously don't get it. The Mac is not for you. Go back to Windows. Thank you for your visit. Looking forward to maybe seeing you again another day.

Now I guess we'll have to wait another week or so.

Can we please close this thread? It's obvious that this is a troll. No answer for a long period of time (if he cared, he would have kept up with the thread), even BELIEVING that Celerons (even the new ones) would be faster than a POWER4 derivative, and basically just complaining wihout bothering to even back up the data and attemp a reinstallation.....

Let's just end this and call it a day, please? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back