Why Mac if you have PC at home? (Why "Switch"?)

After reading this thread, should PC users switch?

• Of course!

• NO! stay the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Torz
at the end of the day, it all comes down to what you like... but theres one thing - You just cant compare OS X to MS Win.

I used to use PC (still do, well you cant avoid it at school lol). Anyway I personally think switching to Mac was one of the best thing I've ever done.
power of Unix and simplicity of Mac OS.... mmmm :D

oh yea by the way, spending cash on Mac to upgrade components such as RAM is totally more worth it that upgrading for M$ Win based peecee.

ciao
Torz

Why can't you compare OSX to MS Win (XP)? That's nonsense. At the end of the day, does it matter which OS provided you with the information you required? Does it matter which OS allowed you to use Photoshop or Illustrator or whichever commercial software is available for both platforms?

BTW--the power of Unix was available a long long time ago, and Apple took a hell of a long time to get with the program. As far as the "simplicity" of Mac OS, the new Dock is crap, the text rendering looks like crap, the system is SLOW, and it's still buggy. (I was able to bring the iMac system down four or five times just playing a few games of chess).

Originally posted by Androo52
That was a good movie, i think we all learned a valueble lesson from it - Always use a mac, not shitty pcs, and always run away from goofy guys in brown suites that always wear glasses.

What's wrong with this post?

Hey folks, what's inside that Macintosh of yours?

What makes an Apple an Apple?

Is it the hardware...?

Well, sort of... the motherboard is designed by Apple--sort of... the G4 spec dictates what can be and what cannot be done on the mb, it's not a great feat of engineering. The G4 chip as you are probably aware was designed by the AIM alliance and it's lifespan will be slow because Motorola can't get it's act together to supply the G5. The IDE hard drive in your Mac is not in any way designed by Apple. The CDRW or CDROM is not designed by Apple. The LCD screen is not designed by Apple.

Basically, nothing inside an Apple (save the firewire) has much to do with Apple at all. It's all in the design. Apple is nothing more than a really well-designed case modification that runs their own OS (which is based on UNIX, which had nothing to do with Apple, either).

So why should I buy another Mac--I've given Apple enough of my moola. I don't invest in their company anymore, why should I buy their products? Computer loyalty? Please.

Hey... After AZOSX, another troll is in da house! :D

Come, Pezagen-TROLL, come... It seems that www.macosx.com and its apple nature attracted another troll in here...

Well, ladies & gentlemen our new troll is (drumrolls):

-> PEZAGENT <-
aka: PezagenTROLL :D

Originally posted by symphonix

When I toyed with the idea of switching to mac, the cost was one of my concerns. I have found, though, that this is another area in which Macs are far superior to PCs.
Now we're just grasping for straws here... so your're telling me that a NZ$3500 price difference between a new iMac and a PC system is really a benefit in some way? Are you really Jean-Louis in disguise?

Firstly, they hold their resale value for a much longer period.
This is absolute opinion. I had to sell my suped-up 9600, only two years old, for a whopping $250--WITH MONITOR. Furthermore, the depreciation on a Macintosh system is much more than a PC. Because of PCs competitive nature, you can find better leasing deals on a PC--which of course allows the tax break.

Also, they remain useful and productive for many, many years. I've even seen original, 1984 model Macs sell for $300+, and the buyers swear by them, simply because they do their work well, they are perfect for students and non-tech types.
And? How is this different than a Windows system that uses MS Office or surfs the internet? In my opinion, older Mac systems are extremely slow and not worth the pain. Older windows systems, however, can be cannibalized for parts. I just got into Linux, and I'm using a 486 chip to run an email server. Works great. Can't do that on a Mac, sorry. (Believe me, I would have liked to)
So, I made the switch. My Mac has never crashed in 12 months. Never. Nada. It does everything it is designed to do, and is an absolute pleasure to work with. I would never pay out for another built-from-parts-made-by-the-best-bidder-PC.
Well, I guess you're special then, because my iMac w/OS9 crashes all the time. The other day I got the Mac's version of the blue screen of death--the "Where's the OS?" flashing icon. Turns out the hard drive was unplugged. Would you like to explain to me how the hard drive could become unplugged in an iMac? I was horrified to think that the past two weeks of design work would be destroyed. And guess what? There's no easy way to check out the HD on an iMac. Luckily for me, the plug was next to the RAM bay.

I WILL pay for a PC with parts at competitive prices... they're no different than the parts put in every Macinsloth that rolls off the assembly line. And at least if I put it together myself, I'll know if the HD is plugged in properly. (Apparently this is a problem on a lot of iMacs--go figure).

Back