Why not a motherboard on a G5 desktop?

webexplorer

Registered
Hi

You love your G5 desktop, Apple Inc. stopped selling this computer model. It will not upgrade 10.6 which means that it's end of life. What are we do with our expensive computer?

There are so many G5 desktops for sale on the Google. They work fine. However, many new software WILL not compatible with the 10.4.x. That would be a big problem. Do you think that Steve Jobs is spoiled?

In your mind, the people who worked so hard to make thousands of new computers at the factory everyday, and they worked for nothing. Why not buy a daughterboard that runs an Intel on a G5 desktop in order to save our environment instead of recycle them in China or Africa?

Recently, I think I heard that it will announce new computers coming up this month. It makes me think that he would ban iMac computers again that won't run on a new OS such as 10.7.

This is only open discussion. Tell us what do you think about it. Thanks. Have a great day!

Well, first of all, your G5 is not limited to Tiger (MacOS X 10.4). It will run Leopard (MacOS X 10.5) just fine. Next, you are mixing motherboards and daughtercards--not daughter boards. The G5's case and processor modules form something of a superunit. You can't just slap a daughtercard into the case.

Lacking the ability to run MacOS X 10.6 is not a serious problem for the G5. It can run Classic, which a Mac Pro cannot do. From where I sit, it makes no sense to run anything less that MacOS X 10.6.1 on an Intel-based Mac. It also makes no sense to me to run anything newer than MacOS X 10.4.11 on a PPC-based Mac like the G5.

Not to mention that there isn't any software available right now that requires 10.6 and refuses to run on 10.5. Pretty much everything that will run under 10.6 will also run under 10.5.

Just because 10.6 is out doesn't mean that 10.5 is abandoned. Not to mention that Steve Jobs announced that PowerPC is dead and Apple will be transitioning to Intel-based processors years ago (2006 to be exact). That's almost 4 years ago. I'd say whomever owns a G5 has gotten plenty of useful life out of their computer, and just because they can't run 10.6 doesn't mean the G5s still can be useful for a few years to come.

If you want to continue to run the latest and greatest software available, you must continue to upgrade your computer to do so. Otherwise, keep using Adobe CS2. Keep using OS X 10.5 (or 10.4!). Of course, if you let your software forge ahead on the bleeding edge but fail to keep your computer up-to-date as well, at some point you're going to hit a divergence where the software is too new to run on your old computer. Tough tits. Either upgrade your computer, or stop upgrading your software.

Back