Why slooooow sleep on powerbook G4 1ghz/10.2.8?

PD

Registered
For the past few weeks, my powerbook has taken about 10-15 seconds to go to sleep once I've selected sleep mode. It seems to have coincided with my upgrade to 10.2.8, but I'm not 100% sure. I've reparied permissions, zapped everything that can be zapped and still the proplem persists.

Any ideas really appreciated...

Thanks!
PD

sounds like its trying to kill a process, check out top in a terminal and see if there's anything running you didn't know about.

got it: type 'top' - easy enough :) Now I need to figure out what all those things are...

Sometimes you can make a big difference by 'zapping' the cache files from your system. You can do this from the terminal, but also a simple process by downloading a utility that provides you with a GUI to do that. Example, Onyx, or Maintain1 (either can be downloaded from versiontracker) I prefer OnyX, which allows a single password to get at all functions. removing all user, library, and system cache files will likely improve what's happening, but a slow shutdown, as Bigpixel says, may be due to a process that is stubborn to shutdown. Try the caches first, come back if you don't get much improvement (all processes can be viewed in Terminal, by typing top (press enter) I disagree with bigpixel on this. If you've not seen top before, it's just a big list, but it shows you processes that are consuming processor time, check it out.

I tried ONyx and unfortunately it didn't do anything.....any other ideas? I'm hoping that I don't have to reinstall the OS....

Thanks

Post here a pic with the "top" results... Also, did you install anything new, say a mouse?

Let us know... :)

Bigpixel, are there really any processes that get close for the sleep-mode? I thought everything is just kinda freezing and your ram gets energy to keep the progs loaded. In such a case, it won't make sense to check out the active processes over top

If you read closer you will see that it goes to sleep and not freeze but it takes up to 15 secs!!! ;)

I got the issue, but I was refering my question to Bigpixels post. The point is that the delay for the sleep-mode can't AFAIK be becaused by any process that doesn't quit properly, since there are no processes killed or quitted for the sleep-mode.
I used freeze in terms of every loaded programm staying loaded and the allocations in the ram kinda "freeze" and do not change.

I didn't refere to PDs issue... ;)

When you put your computer to sleep, it takes several of the bus systems offline, such as Firewire, USB, and Ethernet. The issue may lie in this, as in it's trying to "kill" one of these processes before it can sleep.

And in general, always type man terminal_command whenever someone says to execute terminal_command. For example, typing man top will tell you all about top, what it does, and how you can modify it to give you the results you want, like showing you only the top 20 CPU-using results, for example.

but top doesn't display those bus systems, right? I just started top and plugged my firewire webcam. Nothing was shown..
Ok, I just typed top. Maybe there are several options showing a more detailed list... Anyway, I don't think the list of PDs running apps will tell us more...
Do you have another operating system installed, PD?
I tested here and it takes something about 3 secs..

Thanks for trying to help me out guys. I don't have any other OS, except VPC with windows 2000 which I rarely run. I deleted macos 9 too. My friend lent me his copy (he's a developer and I've already ordered it for Oct 24) of panther and I installed that yesterday with archive and install (trying to avoid starting from scratch because it's such a hassle). Here's the terminal

Attachments

• terminal.gif
    terminal.gif
    94.4 KB · Views: 6
I have one system, the only one that I work with that has Appletalk turned on. Seems to take much longer to sleep, could that be what's going on with yours? 15 secs is not really very long for that, my system occasionally takes about a minute to sleep, and takes longer now, since I had to remove memory to temp install in another system. Looking at the VM size, you could probably use more RAM (but no pageouts, had you just rebooted shortly before this shot?

I initially wrote 10-15 seconds to sleep. It's more like 20-30 secs though. Anyway, I turned off appletalk but there is no difference. I have 512mb ram usually find that it's sufficient for my needs. But of course, more is better with ram.

thanks....

I fixed it! Ended up being one of several automatic login processes.I installed iclock, system optimizer and something else and one of them was the culprit. Deleted them and now it's back to normal....so simple yet such a pain. Thanks for all your suggestions though - really appreciate it!

Back