Why we are paying the Apple TV?

webexplorer

Registered
There is nothing free after buying an Apple TV. More money like rental movies, HD TV (still rentals 99c per show and plus sub tiny fees for Apple's service), iTune, and maybe AirPlay fees. It makes no sense... Sorry, I'm just vent out.

What do you mean?

What service in the entire world is free? Were you expecting something in particular for free?

There is no charge for using AirPlay. The content you stream through AirPlay may cost something (but what doesn't cost something?), but using AirPlay incurs no charge at all.

YouTube, MobileMe galleries and Flickr are all free, and the new AppleTV supports all three of them.

What is the average that iTune charges you for taxes if you have an Apple's $50 card? How many apps that would cover your 50 bucks?

That depends on what state you order from I believe, so here in Texas, Apple would probably charge me 8.25%. That leaves $45.87 to spend on apps, so that's 45 $0.99 apps, 22 $1.99 apps, 15 $2.99 apps, and so on.

Were you expecting to purchase the AppleTV, then get all the TV shows and movies for free? $0.99 per TV show in HD isn't a bad deal at all, and movies at $4.99 is just about the cheapest you'll find (short of Netflix at $8.99/month, which, by the way, AppleTV also supports natively).

Let's say that you spent $47.15 for 45 apps. (i.e. 45 x .99 = 43.56 x 3.59 (8.25%) = 47.15.) Apple kept $2.85 in its pocket for each person who who paid 50 dollars for Apple's card. That 2.85 is your money. Let's say that Apple has one million customers that use the card which made $2,850,000 profit for nothing. It's because Apple's policy stated no refund period.

The company knew that .99 is better than 2.99.

Again for example:

45 apps (.99) = 50 - 47.15 dollars that leaves $2.85. 1 million customers. Apple's profit is $2,850,000.
22 apps (1.99) = 50 - 47.39 dollars that leaves $2.61. Apple's profit is $2,610,000.
15 apps (2.99) = 50 - 48.55 dollars that leaves $1.45. Apple's profit is $1,450,000.

So, it is probably ridiculous for me to say that. Let's say who cares. It's good for the company, but not us. That's how it works. Wow, that big buck would have helped you to pay off all of your debts at once that makes you feel freedom. I'll silence myself for now. I needed to get off my chest. Thank you.

Last edited:
So your beef is really with gift cards in general and not Apple or the aTV, right?

And why in your examples do you stop short of buying all the apps you "can" at a given price point? You could have bought 2 more apps at the .99 point and reduced Apple's scheming profit to 50cent. Seems a very odd argument.

Apple's iTunes gift cards are no different from any other gift cards. Apple doesn't keep the tax you pay -- that goes to the state. Apple also doesn't keep the "leftover" amounts on the cards -- you're free to spend every cent on the card.

If you choose not to spend all the money on the gift card, then it's you who is handing Apple "free" money, and I think you'd have no one to blame but yourself for doing something as stupid as that.

Not to mention that I don't think iTunes gift cards have an expiration date -- just because you don't spend that last $2.85 right now doesn't mean the "clock is ticking" and if you don't spend the money that Apple somehow takes it back from you.

45 apps (.99) = 50 - 47.15 dollars that leaves $2.85. 1 million customers. Apple's profit is $2,850,000.
Sure, if all of these fools simply leave $2.85 worth of good credit on their cards and don't spend it. Why wouldn't they spend the $2.85 on an app or two or a song or two?
22 apps (1.99) = 50 - 47.39 dollars that leaves $2.61. Apple's profit is $2,610,000.
Again, why are these idiots leaving good money on the card and not spending it? Buy a $0.99 song, a $0.99 app, leaving $0.63 on the card, which they then use in conjunction with a debit card to purchase another $0.99 song or app.
15 apps (2.99) = 50 - 48.55 dollars that leaves $1.45. Apple's profit is $1,450,000.
Where are these fools? I will gladly purchase all their unused iTunes gift cards from them and use the remaining amounts on the cards.

It sounds like you're just unhappy about having to spend money, or about the fact that
Apple doesn't want to give you anything for free. You also throw around the term "Apple's profit..." over and over again... why do you think Apple is in business? They're not a non-profit organization meant to save the world by proving clean water and computers and music and apps to the world in a bid to make this Earth a better place to live... they're a company, whose sole purpose is to make money, for both themselves and the shareholders.

They're doing it in a very fair way, and I believe the services and goods I get in exchange for giving Apple some of my money are A-1, top-notch, and well worth it. You know, you could go over to the "other" side, where an OS upgrade will set you back $500 and computers are made out of tin cans and virus protection will run you $100 plus $50 a year, thanks to the definitions companies bleeding you dry.

Your expectations of Apple are unrealistic, to say the least; your math and understanding of the way a gift card works, abhorrent.

There is no charge for using AirPlay. The content you stream through AirPlay may cost something (but what doesn't cost something?), but using AirPlay incurs no charge at all. If you choose not to spend all the money on the gift card, then it's you who is handing Apple "free" money, and I think you'd have no one to blame but yourself for doing something as stupid as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back