Wifi connection - hit or miss

Lexgig

Registered
I use an Airport Extreme router for wifi in my house. It's connected to a Motorola modem (cable, high speed, about 10 yrs old). My iMac (2 yrs old) connects wirelessly as do 2 laptops and several iPod touches.
Very often, the iPods have no wifi connection. Ocasionally, the iMac has the same issue. I have reset the modem/router numerous times (unplug, plug back in) as guided by internet provider. I have done a hard reset of the router using airport utility (paper clip used to push in small button, re-assign name, pw, etc.) as guided by Apple support staff. I have even updated the firmware for the airport extreme.

When the issue happens on the laptops or iPods, it just says "No internet connection" or "connectivity level low", so not much to work with.
However, when the issue happens on the iMac, these are the windows I get:

Window 1: "You are not connected to the Internet"
Option: Network Diagnostics - clicked here to get...

Window 2: Provides the "Network Status Indicators"

(color) - (Status)
Green - Airport Status
Green - Settings
Amber - Network Settings
Red - ISP Failed
Red - Internet Failed
Red - Server Failed

I cannot determine if it is a modem issue or router issue. Also, I cannot keep resetting these devices every day.
Please provide guidance when you can. Thank you!

It will be easy to tell if it's a modem problem, if when it happens open /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility. If it connects to the Extreme then you know it might be the modem. Also check all ethernet cables connecting everything.

Back