wifi speed on iPhone

KBug

Registered
I have a MacBook and an iPhone and I use broadband connection for my internet use. I've setup wifi on my 2MBps broadband connection.
I get an avg download speed of 230KBps on my MacBook but on iPhone I only get around 30KBps.
As per theory on am MBps we should get 2024/8 = 256KBps, so on my MacBook if I get 230KBps its perfectly okay but how come I get only 30KBps on iPhone ?
How can I fix this ??

You can tell this by looking at the bar at the top of the iPhone where the clock is located. On the left-hand side, you'll see one of several different pieces of text or icons:

'o', 'E', '3G', or an airport icon (just like in the Mac's menubar -- 3 arcs of differing size, like a Chinese fold-out fan). If you see the latter, you're connected to some 802.11 wireless network and you should see similar speeds as your Macs. If not, you're not using your wireless network and the speeds you're getting are consistent with the mobile data speed provided by AT&T.

Also, if you have a late-model AirPort Extreme, then your Macs could be using the faster 5GHz 802.11n range while your iPhone/iPod touch is using the slower 2.4GHz range. In addition, things like wireless landline phones that operate on the 2.4GHz frequency, microwave ovens, and other 802.11 2.4GHz devices can interfere with the reception your iPhone/iPod touch is receiving, causing the slow speeds.

I have a USB 802.11g wireless adapter for one of my computers that I don't use anymore, because when I do, it kills the connection on my iPhone and iPod touch for some reason... I chalked it up to interference or perhaps a channel/frequency conflict, but when I take it offline, my iPods and iPhones start seeing major speed improvements. You may want to experiment with turning off other wireless clients in your home and see if that helps, if at all applicable.

So... what about the AirPort Extreme business? 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz? Other 2.4GHz devices? Cordless landlines? Microwaves? Wireless mice?

I don't have any such wireless devices any where near my wifi setup. I have put up screenshots of my Airport and wifi settings for reference.

screenshot20100301at656.png

screenshot20100301at658.png

screenshot20100301at659.png

Back