Will 2004 be the year of Apple?

OSX-Devlinite

Registered
Longhorn has been delayed again back to 2006. Service pack update for XP wont be released till mid 2004. Athlon FX and Athlon 64 are amazingly overpriced in the range of 733$ FX to 413$ A64 because of low supply.

Same goes for Intel P4E costing 700$ because of the L3 cache.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0

Windows XP 64 bit edition is still at beta stage...

While the G5s are in stock and ready to be shipped, an advantage for apple along with Panther update being released by December 2003.

Of course, this advantage can only be exploited untill the G5s no longer hold somewhat the same performance as the pc counterparts.

If apple is able to boost G5s speed and lower the costs of the G4s by mid-2004. I think apple will have many switchers by the end of 2004. Unless apple cant meet the demands and gets screwed by another motorola fiasco from IBM.

Indeed, with the G5, the just released update to the 15" PowerBook and Panther just around the corner, Apple is positioned for growth. Moreover, IBM is likely to deliver improved processors: 3 GHz before end of 2004, with likely an update in between.
Professional customers are buying in droves right now.

With the Xserve and the iBook probably approaching an update (likely before x-mas), Apple could woo more corporate and educational buyers into its camp.

2004 will be a great year for Apple. Everyone is hoping for G5 X-Serve and PowerBooks, and there may well be surprises.
The iTMS will come to Windows before the end of the year and next year we will see the international version.

When jobs came back to Apple, he killed a lot of projects and concentrated the efforts into a basic matrix: this has helped Apple a lot. Now with a strong base product matrix they are expanding again into other segments: X-Serve & XServe RAID, iPod & iTMS.

It has been a great year, and all signs point to an even better year in 2004! :)

Jobs said that G5 next summer (2004) will run @ 3GHz... As of now the Dual G5 kicks major bottoms even when against Dual XEONs running @ 3GHz (and P4E is basically a XEON minus the MP function :p) while using current apps... I cannot even imagine using a Dual G5/3GHz with customized apps! :rolleyes:

2004 is surely going to be the year of Greece and Apple :D And for Apple maybe the 2005 too! :p

Well the G5 in almost every benchmark is slower than PC counterparts.

I already posted benchmarks, both intel and amd kill G5.

Hopefully, all will change with Panther. If not, I doubt 2004 will change the market share.

You should really read other threads here where we have MANY benchmarks that actually Dual G5 is killing anything that the Dark Side offers in about everything... :p

As for market share it is not something that shows if something is better than something else... Read my signature for more info :p

The only benchmarks have something positive is the computer magasin benchmarks which they compare with an intel Xeon.

That is not beating, that is leveling to same performance.

You know what? You should read more the threads here instead of throwing empty words around :p Because if you were actually reading then you wouldn't even dare to post such empty stuff :rolleyes:

Read more, understand more and then read some more :D

once apple starts producing $500~$600 computers, then people will take notice. you can't refute all the ads on TV and the new york times that are pushing $400 machines with free printers.

I think the only way those companies can compete is by offering dirt-cheap crap. If PC's started at $1000 like Macs, they'd have a hard time selling them when you show them a superior Mac for the same price.

I've said it before, benchmarks are hardly the entire story. They don't show off speed or quality of the UI, which is far more important. You could have a processor that beats another in benchmarks like a Ferrari beats a Schwinn, but if that processor's OS is impossible to navigate and takes a lot of memory, then you'd go for the second one.

well Devlin, it's obvious that the battle for apple is pretty much over. after all, we've gotten you to buy a mac. all the rest of the pc users should be easy to switch in comparison. :p

seriously, once more someone makes too much about market share. since i haven't said it in awhile, let me repeat myself. I DON"T WANT MACS TO HAVE A HUGE MARKET SHARE!! let the masses uses pc's. let them get what they pay for and all the virii that go with it. let apple make a larger profit per sale and continue to provide the best computers with the best os while being the only true innovator in the field. let mac users enjoy being mac users.

a mac isn't just a machine, it's an extension of the kind of personality that enjoys using one. don't try to make it any more complicated than that. computers are already far faster than the majority of people will ever have a need for. as long as apple continues to hold a profitable share of the market, that's all that's really important.

I'd at least like the Mac platform to have a larger market share than 5%. If we were at 15 or 20%, we'd be much less often snubbed and much more often considered equal or superior to Wintel boxes. Developers would be much less hesitant to develop for Mac, since there's a much larger obvious potential user base. Sure, the Mac shouldn't have 90% of the market, but it would be very nice to have oh, a fifth or sixth of it.

And, as always, Apple outsells all the other PC manufacturers. That should be a sign...

Helloooooo people!

Apple does have a $300-$500 computer! It is virus free, does many things, doesn't need too much technical support and it can be used by the Dark Side people too!

It is the...

DRUMS ROLL

iPOD

Let Dull, et al sell and support all those crappy $400 boxes all while Apple earns loads of money by selling iPods :p

Even Dull got this and that's why they want to create an iPod-like device :rolleyes:

And I totally agree with EdX! Let the Dark Side enjoy the huge share of computing market... :D

The Ipod is a music player, not a computer.

PocketPC, PalmPilot, those are portable computers. Apple has nothing to challenge the portable computer market. Newton was scrapped because it was too big...

Even those ridiculous tablet pcs are taking increased profits... Who's buying them, i have no idea.

Secondly, from EDx perpective, that would imply if apple ever expands it would have the same problems as MS in the software sector. So therefore, MS quality of its software can't be compared with OSX on security, reliability and compability, since they do not have the same market share which would deliver the same benefits or consenquences.

Yet, ppl still bash MS in these forums...

Hypocrisy?

Btw, I am not a switcher, I still will work on my pc more than the imac i bought and still in shipping. Simply bought it to find out "the benefits" of an apple machine. Not that I am dumping pcs.

It seems that you do not get it! :p Not that you are really trying :rolleyes:

It seems that you are the kind of people who even when they see the path and walk through it, STILL don't get it! :p

Thank God (no, not Jobs or the other one, Gates :p) that you are not a switcher! It would be catastrophic for the rest of us! :D

Take it easy hulk.

I have been a Mac user since the dark days way before jobs came back, and the discussion of market share and benchmarks have always been a hot topic and always will be. But, jumping on someone who points out that PC's still have an edge over the G5 in some areas isn't going to make them or anyone else want to check out the Mac platform. It's going to make them see us as "Mac Bigots" or "Elitists" and not want to have anything to do with us.

I agree with Edx and OSX-Devlinite. They are both right. The reason it is so great being a Mac user is being a part of the community. The truth is, if there were as many Macs as PCs, we would have the same amount of viruses as they do.

Take it easy on the newcomers. Let OSX-Devlinite use his new mac and get his feet wet. He will see the benefits, and in all probability become a switcher. But we also have to realize that the Mac platform isn't for everyone. If he uses his Mac and decides that he's happier on a PC, that doesn't make him stupid. Just a Sadist. (just kidding).

Peace

Originally posted by OSX-Devlinite
Secondly, from EDx perpective, that would imply if apple ever expands it would have the same problems as MS in the software sector. So therefore, MS quality of its software can't be compared with OSX on security, reliability and compability, since they do not have the same market share which would deliver the same benefits or consenquences.

Yet, ppl still bash MS in these forums...

Hypocrisy?

well, i've always believed that where there is a will, there is a way. if macs dominated the marketplace, then there would be more incentive to hack them and infect them. so yes, you've summed up my stance pretty well. and no, i don't see it as hypocrisy. hypocrisy for me would be to wish that apple would take over the market and put itself in the same position. i offer this article from today's San Francisco Chronicle as an interesting side note to this conversation. it starts:

The world's computer networks are headed for disaster if Microsoft Corp.'s operating system maintains dominance, a group of security experts warned Wednesday.

Despite Microsoft's high-profile effort to improve its software's security, more and more worms and other attacks will continue to hit the Internet, simply because more than 90 percent of computers run the same system...

it ends:
"If every machine on earth ran Macintosh's OS X, it would also be a problem," he said. "If every machine on earth ran a particular flavor of Linux, that would also be a problem."

the fact is that i really don't have to bash m$ to proclaim the wonders of macs. but the fact is that i am an elitist when it comes to my computer and in my eyes, if it's not a mac - it's inferior. i don't need benchmarks to show me that.

at any rate - Devlin, you are getting dangerously close to trolling again and i don't need to remind you that your leash is extremely short around here. i suggest you wait til your mac arrives and you start to experience it rather than theorize about it before you get too involved in this kind of discussion. :)

Originally posted by djeans
Take it easy hulk.

I was easy so far :p

I have been a Mac user since the dark days way before jobs came back, and the discussion of market share and benchmarks have always been a hot topic and always will be. But, jumping on someone who points out that PC's still have an edge over the G5 in some areas isn't going to make them or anyone else want to check out the Mac platform. It's going to make them see us as "Mac Bigots" or "Elitists" and not want to have anything to do with us.

Then it is all good! And we will not have anything to do with them :D

I agree with Edx and OSX-Devlinite. They are both right. The reason it is so great being a Mac user is being a part of the community. The truth is, if there were as many Macs as PCs, we would have the same amount of viruses as they do.

If you read closer my previous replies, you should know that I agree with EdX too! But NOT with OSX-Devlinite... I'm not a lawyer, politician or something! I cannot agree with two different sides at the same time :p However, about the if more Macs then more problems, I hate to brake it to you or anyone else but this isn't going to happen in the years ahead so, drop that if-then-else scenario... I'm bored with it and it is getting old and useless by now! Hulk smash puny if-then-else scenarios :D

Take it easy on the newcomers. Let OSX-Devlinite use his new mac and get his feet wet. He will see the benefits, and in all probability become a switcher. But we also have to realize that the Mac platform isn't for everyone. If he uses his Mac and decides that he's happier on a PC, that doesn't make him stupid. Just a Sadist. (just kidding).

Peace

Unfortunately, OSX-Devlinite isn't a newcomer and there is no way for him to become a switcher... He doesn't have what it takes to become one! After all, it's a Mac thing... He wouldn't understand! :p

As for the real newcomers, we all know (or so I believe) that I try doing my best to help then if and when I can and always will continue to do so... Yes, sometimes I overreact but I'm a mindless Hulk, a monster... What are their excuses? :rolleyes:

Reasons for bashing Microsoft... they do make some good Mac software, but it often has problems and the company overall is a monster. And not the benevolent kind like Hulk.

Back