Will my G4 HD work in a G5?

xgipper

Registered
Hi

I'd like to know if the hard disc I put in my G4 (Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) will work in a G5 Power Mac? I'm looking at acquiring a 1.6Ghz model, if it makes any difference.

The disc is: a 160GB Samsung SP1654N 7200rpm 8Mb Cache IDE ATA133 Hard Disk Drive.

Cheers

Yep, no problem at all. You can interchange it with almost any IDE Mac computer and it will boot up. Although, if you were to use it on an Intel Mac you would have to change the partition.

"IDE" is the type of drive. ATA or SATA is the interface. So yes, the G5 uses IDE drives, just as your G4 uses IDE drives.

It's just that the G5 requires those IDE drives to have a SATA interface, while your G4 requires those drives to have a PATA interface.

PATA and SATA are not cable-compatible. They do make converter cables/adapters, though.

Short answer: no, that hard drive will not work in your G5 without some adapters, etc.

Although, if you were to use it on an Intel Mac you would have to change the partition.
Only if you were to try and use it as a boot drive. If you were to use it as a secondary drive, no need to change the partition table format at all.

Last edited:
Back