Will my software work if I upgrade from 10.3.9 tot 10.5?

siouxsie_ram

Registered
I'm running 10.3.9 on a Mac dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with 2 GB DDR SDRAM. I don't want to have to buy all new software if I upgrade to a newer system, hopefully 10.5. Software I'm using: Quark 6.1, Office 2004, Adobe CS, Suitcase 11.04, Acrobat 6.0... Will these programs still work if I upgrade?
Thanks in advance!!! (from a busy work at home mom trying to find answers quickly)

Don't know about the rest, but you absolutely will need to upgrade to Adobe CS3 if you have an older version. That, alone, cost me big-time!

I'm running 10.3.9 on a Mac dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with 2 GB DDR SDRAM. I don't want to have to buy all new software if I upgrade to a newer system, hopefully 10.5. Software I'm using: Quark 6.1, Office 2004, Adobe CS, Suitcase 11.04, Acrobat 6.0... Will these programs still work if I upgrade?
Thanks in advance!!! (from a busy work at home mom trying to find answers quickly)

I've some free time on my hands so I checked around.

Adobe Reader 8.1.2

Easily view, print, and collaborate on PDF files with this free software

Macintosh Version:

PowerPC® G3, G4, G5 or Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.4.3 to v10.4.9, v10.5.0 and v10.5.1
128MB of RAM (256MB recommended for complex forms or large documents)
170MB of available hard-disk space
Safari 2.0.2

I found this thread which offers info for Quark, Suitcase and CS. In your case though, the reality could be totally different and I'd read it with that in mind.

Regarding Office 2004, Google results here, provide a good read about various Mac users experiences with Leopard/Office'04.​

Basically, the bottom line is that there will be a need for thorough research in the case of incompatibilities arising and I don't think there is really a "one size fits all" answer to your thread.

Hope this helps ;)

It's not a bad idea to consider Tiger instead of Leopard .... I am still using Tiger, have used Panther and probably won't upgrade to Leopard any time soon as I'm more than happy with Tiger and have no real reason to change ... Tiger is a pretty good advancement on Panther although I've heard some say that Panther was real stable compared to earlier incarnations of Mac OS X.

Having said that, Leopard is up to 10.5.3 and it is probably safe to say that a fair amount of bugginess has been addressed and sorted.

It really does boil down to the 'type' of user you are and what you require on any normal day to be running smoothly .... a mate of mine commented that Leopard is pretty much the same as Tiger after you get used to a few features but I couldn't comment on that and I'm sure the user experience changes depending on the individual. ;)

The under lining of OS X was drastically updated so most third party programs will have to be update with something like AppFresh.

Your best bet would be to do an Archive & Install. The standard upgrade process will play havoc and screw up with your old programs.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions...
I'm going have a really good Mac "guru" install Panther... he says he can do it without updating software -- I hope so!

Back