Will Time Machine Work With My Drobo S On Macos Sierra ?

amcliz

Registered
Will my Drobo S work with Time Machine in MacOS Sierra ?

Has anyone upgraded and encountered problems with their Drobo S backup solution...?

I'm thinking of upgrading, but my backup system is critical... so I don't wanna upgrade and find out I can't backup my content anymore...

Any comments or experiences most welcome...

Regards,
Anthony

Drobo support page
The current Drobo Product line is compatible with MacOS Sierra.

I take that to mean that you should not expect a change in how your Drobo interacts with Sierra, which SHOULD include, by inference, Time Machine, although the site does not go into detail - and does not actually mention time machine

Hi Deltamac and thanks for your reply.... but my DroboS isn't part of their current product lineup... that's my problem... my product isn't supported for macOS Sierra.... but neither was it supported for OSX El Capitan... but it worked fine with that.... so that's why I'm asking if anyone with a DoboS has experienced any issues so far...?

Do you use a DroboS ? Have you had any Time Machine issues.... there seems to be a few threads about issues... :(

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,
Anthony

Nope, no DroboS, I'm just an information "offender".
There's lots of examples of hardware or software that may not be supported by current (or recent) macOS versions, but that might work anyway. The only problem with THAT, is when you have a problem that requires you to set up as a new device (or to reinstall the original software), and you can't get it working again. Good example is some close-to-classic Adobe suites. I have a good friend who was using CS4, and continued to update his Mac to El Capitan. CS4 is not supported, and hasn't since maybe OS X 10.8 or .9 (not sure), but his software continued to work, until some weird files started to be produced, and my friend had reinstalled CS4 several years ago for a similar problem. Well, this time, the uninstall/reinstall did not even try to work. CS4 blew up/hiccuped/burped/vomited - however you want to express it - it doesn't work now, unless my friend reboots to a a Lion system.
Anyway, long story. The point is, if you have an older hardware, then it might work for you, but you don't have much recourse if it decides not to work, and you might not know even what causes it, or when it stops working (not good for a backup system, eh?)
You COULD upgrade a test system to Sierra (with a good, complete backup in case something goes wrong, as you should do with any production software upgrade) It could be on your main drive. Use it for a few days, and see what happens.
Finally, as this site is relatively low traffic, you might ask about droboS on another Mac forum site that has much more possibility to find another user who has a DroboS. I also like MacRumors.com forums.

Back