win7 virtualization

iferment

Registered
Has anyone successfully installed win7β under either Parallels4 or VMFusion?

I'm installing(or trying to) from the ms .iso; and Parallel Tools won't install. Then the Windows Install startup screen tells me I'm missing a file and goes back to Square 1. WTF?

Running build 3810 on Core Duo MacBook Pro.

No problems w. win XP.

Thanks.

You can find the answer in the thread here about Windows 7 on VMware Fusion.

Are you using a legit beta copy from the website and not one from a torret?
I've heard that works with anything when you set it up as a Vista system.
I am currently running Windows 7 in BootCamp and it works fine.

Downloaded the .iso file from MS win7 website.
After starting the install from the .iso file on my HD, it goes a few seconds, stops, says it can't find the "install.wim" file on the image. Or wherever it looks... . Both Parallels and VMFusion have same result.
So - does that missing file reside on the disc image, or should it be in Parallels? And - should I just download win7 again?
Hmmm.
Thanks icemanjc

It sounds as if it is the disk image because you get the same result with both Parallels VMware Fusion. I would re-download and then try again.
When downloading the disk image, did you ever start and stop the download?
Did you download the 64 Bit or the 32 Bit? I've read that the 64 Bit version doesn't always work to well with Parallels.

Does the Windows 7 Beta install CD/DVD boot on a normal, physical PC?

If so, problem likely lies with the virtualization software.

If not, problem likely lies with either the ISO image you obtained or the disc you burned.

Hi Mike, I remember you from VMware's forums... welcome here :)
Anyway - seen and heard several people use Windows 7 with their Fusion and the reviews look good. As long as it's selected correctly it should work.

Yup. I pop up on different forums from time to time. Depends how much free time I have. :)

Your issue does sound like an ISO issue. The first time I downloaded the Win7 ISO it was corrupted for me.

It sounds as if it is the disk image because you get the same result with both Parallels VMware Fusion. I would re-download and then try again.
When downloading the disk image, did you ever start and stop the download?
Did you download the 64 Bit or the 32 Bit? I've read that the 64 Bit version doesn't always work to well with Parallels.

OK - finally installed, using the .iso file from HD rather than DVD. I think I finally let ||'s pick the 'typical' installation, rather than a 'custom.'

So far so good. Using recommended memory allocation(1G), but not sure how win7 considers the processor. I have a Core Duo MacBookPro; is that considered one or two processors?

Finally, win7 runs and looks pretty good so far. Our shop is running winXP, and I know at some point, we will have to abandon that. Looking forward to seeing what others experience is w. win7.

Thanks all for jumping in to help.

iferment

The Core Duo is a 32-bit processor with two cores. The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor with two cores.

I installed Windows 7 today in Fusion 2 on an iMac with 1 GB of RAM in total - now that wasn't too bad except it's totally not enough RAM... when 10.5 would need min 1 GB to do anything effectively, getting 512 MB of that to Windows 7 made not only the host but the guest very slow when trying to do anything in it.

Windows 7's dock (whatever they called it to not call it dock) reminds me of very old KDE somehow. As in ok and works but doen't turn me wild...

The Core Duo is a 32-bit processor with two cores. The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor with two cores.

I'm not to sure about that. I have a Core 2 Duo, but it doesn't run 64 Bit applications, unless there is something that I am missing.

I'm sure about that.

Core Duo = 32 bit
Core 2 Duo = 64 bit

What specific 64-bit application are you trying to run? There's no "switching" or anything required...

Do a "Get Info" on the Chess.app in your Applications folder. You should see, toward the bottom, a checkbox that says "Open in 32 Bit Mode." That means that the application is 64-bit, and with that checkbox, you can force it to run in 32-bit mode.

Your Core 2 Duo is as 64-bit as anyone else's. :)

I ran Snow Leopard at one time on my MacBook (which appears to be the same specs as yours) and it made me use the 32-Bit System Preferences insteado f the 64-Bit.

There are two versions of the MacBook: the early ones from 2006, with Core Duo (32-bit) processors, available at 1.8 or 2.0 GHz. Then, they were upgraded to Core 2 Duo processors at similar speeds (and beyond).

If you do an "About this Mac", beside "Processor" it will tell you if it's a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo.

Back