Windows Install Won't Start Up

icemanjc

I'm cool, I have a mac.
In the past I've been able to install Windows easily on my MacBook. Now I got a new MacBook (same version though, something like mid-2008) and when I try to start up with the Windows install DVD it just sits on the black screen with the blinking underscore (or whatever you call it). I've tried a bunch of different install discs and it does the same with all of them. I left it for an hour one time and it still does the exact same thing.

What process are you using to create the EFI partition for that Windows install?
Boot Camp, or something else like rEFIt?

What process are you using to create the EFI partition for that Windows install?
Boot Camp, or something else like rEFIt?

Boot Camp only.

Though would it really matter because it doesn't even get far enough to select a drive. It just sits on that screen right after I select the disc to boot off of.

Last edited:
You said a Windows DVD...
Is that for Windows 7?
Most of my experience is with XP, which is on a CD.
But, try burning a copy of that Windows installer disk. I usually would use Toast for that, but Disk Utility might work just fine, too. That might work, where the original installer disk won't.
You have a different MacBook to install Windows - how do you get around the need to have a Windows activation code? Are you still using Windows on your other MacBook?

Yes, it's Windows 7 Pro.
Well that's what I did with the disc (using Disk Utility), I copied it to make sure there was nothing wrong with the other. My other MacBook fried, so Apple gave me a new one. Thus only one computer is activated at a time.

Ah, OK...
Find another Windows disk - or try to boot another Mac or Windows PC, to test for a good boot with the installer you have now.

Does your new MacBook successfully boot to your OS X restore DVD (just to check that it will boot to _anything_ else...)

Back