Windows Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unacceptable62

Registered
Ok, so I successfully partitioned my hard drive to have ~15 gigs of memory for Windows. Next step was to go get a copy of Windows XP, correct? I went to my university hardware center and I bought a copy of Windows XP x64 Edition with Service Pack 2 (separate CD) and I put in the x64 Edition CD and run bootcamp to install Windows. It restarts, tries to run from the CD and says that this CPU is not x64 compatible and I need to find an x86 version of Windows, am I out of luck or is there a way to get this to work? I spent $10 on this copy and they only had x64. I would like to not have to go out and spend $150 to get this.

Btw, I have a MacBook OSX v.10.4.8.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The only copy of Windows XP that I believe will only work is the 32-bit version. Unless you have the new Core 2 Duo Macs, you won't be able to run anything that's 64-bit on them. The Core Duo chips were 32-bit, while the new Core 2 Duo chips reintroduced 64-bit CPUs. So unless you've bought a Core 2 Duo MacBook within the last few weeks since it's been released, then you have to us e the 32-bit version with SP2.

Incidentally, I hadn't thought about XP x64 working with Boot Camp. As far as I know, I don't think that Boot Camp will create the 64-bit drivers needed for x64. So it could be that even with the 64-bit Core 2 Duo you're left using a 32-bit operating system. Of course, the only thing that's 64-bit in Tiger right now is the UNIX portion of it. 10.5, aka Leopard, will have full 64-bit support.

Ok, so what does that mean? (Sorry, I'm a computer retard :(). I have a 64-bit copy of Windows XP, what do I need to do to run it on my computer? And no, I don't have a Core 2 Duo version, I bought my MacBook about 4 months ago,

Windows 64-bit won't run on macs, as yet. you'll probably have to wait for leopard for that to happen, if at all.

you need a copy of Windows XP SP2 for 32-bit computers.

Ok, so what does that mean? (Sorry, I'm a computer retard :(). I have a 64-bit copy of Windows XP, what do I need to do to run it on my computer? And no, I don't have a Core 2 Duo version, I bought my MacBook about 4 months ago,

Then you have the regular Core Duo model which is a 32-bit processor. That means you'll never be able to run Windows XP x64 on it since it's not a 64-bit processor. As Burnsie said, you're going to need the regular 32-bit version of Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Even if you could run the 64-bit version of Windows XP on it (which you can't with your model), support for Windows XP x64 is not that great, meaning that you're going to have issues with drivers. Until 64-bit computing is fully embraced by the Windows world, support for it is going to be abysmal. Realize that if it wasn't for the iMac back in 1997-98, USB support wouldn't be as vibrant as it is now. Hopefully Apple's push for 64-bit computing with Leopard (which should also work for 32-bit processors as well...probably detected during installation when installed) will finally get the PC guys playing follow the leader again.

Although to be honest, UNIX, Linux, and the BSDs were there before Apple or MS, but that's a story for another time... :D

Keeping in mind that this site doesn't provide support for pirated software, as a suggestion, I think you'll have to burn your XP install disk. And I don't think you can do that from OS X, you will need to be booted to Windows to do that burn - which would mean from a PC....
Maybe some more experienced Windows users will chime in here.

If it's a regular disk image, say, in .ISO format, Mac OS X's Disk Utility will burn it just fine and it'll be bootable as well... no problems there at all.

The problem, like DeltaMac said, is that you're pirating a copy of Windows XP, and we cannot help you under those circumstances due to board rules. While Microsoft is evil, I think we'll all agree, that doesn't make pirating their software any more "okay" or less illegal.

Well see my thing is that I went out and bought a copy and it turned out to be the wrong one so I figured that since I already paid my money to them, I am justified. Anyway, I'm not sure if I will run it or not because I'm kind of afraid about it :(

They won't take back your copy of Windows XP x64? I would go there and ask for your money back assertively. Speak to the manager there if you have to. They sold you something that you couldn't use, and they need to refund you your money of give you something that will work.

Well I bought it from my University and they have a policy that says if you break the seal, you can't return it. It's not a HUGE deal because it was just $10, but I am having trouble finding any Windows XP that is 32-bit downloaded or not.

The product key is unlikely to work between different products, but you can try it.

From your Bootcamp 'read before you install' doc:
Important: You must use a single-disc, full-install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, and you cannot install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it later to SP2. Do not use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Stop discussing illegally acquired copies of Windows _immediately_, please. (This _includes_ "getting them" at your parents' house.) The solution to your problem is to buy a copy of Windows XP sp2 32bit version. _Where_ you buy that doesn't matter much. Could ask Microsoft whether they exchange it for you. Either way: You have your answers. Sorry, but board rules apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back