Windows Media Player 9

I'm curious how it will work, mplayer will still be my default, but there are some audio files I think this will only play.

EDIT:

Installed it, it is better than the previous, but it is still choppy and mplayer still is WAYYYYYY better.

I've installed the whole System faster than this… it takes literally hours to start...

Is this the answer to iTunes for PC? if it is please let me laugh at microsoft… that's the best thing they can do? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

it works fine here. didn't find anything odd or long about install or use. actually looks good compared to the old one.

Yea, installed fine here, but playback still doesn't compete with mplayer. The new interface is nice, that can be said to be true.

I got rid of my old WMP and DLed this one. I can play movies the old one wouldn't now so I guess it's a worthy DL. But I hate wasting memory on this stuff.

1, it delays, i get that damn beach ball, like when i skip through the movie. Mplayer just goes. Not sure how i can explain it, if it works fine for you, maybe you have a faster machine, but mplayer still outperforms.

i'm sure machine speed has something if not everything to do with it. i haven't use mplayer since my linux days, but i do remember it being a light app. back to the game! go timberpups!

Well, I'm disappointed in the quality of the player. I've tried several different sites with streaming media files and the quality of Windows Media streaming files is terrible. On these sites there will be streaming media offered in the Windows format and the Real format (plus some with the QuickTime format). You can see how lacking the quality is on Windows media. Even comparing it to Real Media files.

Although it's nice to be able to watch files from within my browser now. There are sites that still only offer streaming Windows media. :mad:

I just installed it. The installer froze for a while, but then it installed fine. I prefer the aqua look of 7, but it seems to work just fine. I hate how if you click on a later part with the scroller, it really lags for a while before it catches up.

And what is it with the title bar buttons? They don't conform to the sunken 10.3 theme at all.

Wow... bet it still does a mere fraction of the stuff that WMP for Windows does... like I care.

hazmat said:
I just installed it. The installer froze for a while, but then it installed fine. I prefer the aqua look of 7, but it seems to work just fine.

The Aqua look is still there: View->Select Skin->Translucent. The other two looks from 7 are there as well.

Does anybody actually use Win MP with the "original" skin? I can't stand the look of it... too pre-XP Windowsish.

ARGH! I had 2 files I needed this for 2 weeks ago. I deleted the files and now I can't get them again!

2 weeks too late!

Anyway, still ugly and poor PQ but at least I can play series 9 files.

Back