Windows Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWizard14

Registered
I am not a convert, but I am trying to do something that I can't seem to do on a Mac that I can do on a PC. It is that I can't open Windows Media Files with DRM from our library. Is there some shareware app that can open them? Thanks in advance.

By the way, the windows/mac ratio of things they do that the other can't is as far as I know it, 1/9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Thanks in Advance.

Long Live Macs

-Mr. Wizard

If you can't get there with Flip4Mac (which replaces Win Media Player on the Mac), or VLC, or MPlayer - you likely can't open it on a Mac. You may have some files that require Windows, and not just WMPlayer.

That is because Microsoft has not provided Mac users the DRM licensing. As soon as you can convince Microsoft to sell Flip4Mac the DRM you will be S.O.L. on Windows DRM files on a Mac or Linux.

Isn't there some shareware app that might do the job? I mean, someone has cracked the AAC format.(or so I've heard on the news) Since Windows are much easier to hack than macs, wouldn't someone have cracked it already?

Long live Tiger

-Mr. Wizard

Parallels _AND_ BootCamp will both work with DRM'd WM files, but that's not a _Mac_ solution, really. (Although I hear Vista in virtualisation has some restriction in regards to DRM, strangely.)

We do _not_ talk about cracking DRM here on macosx.com. Read the board rules.

Vista will work 100% on Boot Camp but will not access DRM in Parallels. I am not sure that all versions of Vista will run all Media Players, maybe you need a Premium Edition, this is not clear to me.

I want to play a Windows Media File with DRM that I downloaded from our library's home page. I have the necessary authentication. Is there any way that I can play it? Heeeeeellllllllllpppppppppp!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

-Mr. Wizard

I think if you read these posts, you will see that the answer is:
No, not without Windows... Microsoft is not providing the support for that on other OSes.

Ok, I give up, and will attempt to persuade the library to use some other format of DRM. I see that what I was attempting is impossible, and will spend my effort elsewhere on worthier things. Thanks so much for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back