Windows Media Problem

sholmes

Registered
Sorry if this is a re-post, but the forum search isn't working for me. When I updated to Tiger on the day of its release, Windows Media Player stopped working. It would just freeze up when trying to play files. So, I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. Now, the installer for it freezes as soon as the progress bar starts. I've tried it at least 15 times since the initial Tiger release and the exact same thing happens. I am now on 10.4.2 and am having the same problems. I have found a few people complaining of similar problems and some have suggested that using a "skin" can cause problems. I don't know exactly what they mean, but I am using Shapeshifter. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I don't know if it is related but none of my media applications work with Firefox anymore. It just brings up a black screen telling me to download and install the proper application (Quicktime, WMP, etc.) or point it to the location on my hard drive. Needless to say, I am having no success. However, the media applications work fine in Safari (with the exception of WMP). Thank you for any help you can offer.

It Tiger Microsoft has DROPPED the ball for Media Player, this quark affects everyone on Tiger. No built-in custom skin will work. Mosey over the Users->Your user name->Library->and throw out these two preference files "Windows Media Favorites" and "Windows Media Player Prefs". Then restart Windows Media Player and wait for Microsoft to update the Mac version of Windows Media Player.

I should have mentioned that I have deleted the preferences. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Any other ideas?

Back