Windows XP On 10.3 700mhz G4

lordofrealbasic

Registered
You Know whats extremely funny is I have a pentium 4 and a whole lot of macs and Virtual PC on My Mac runs XP 30 times faster than my 1.2ghz PC
its that awesome only if apple and IBM Joined together they would be a lot better off.

Powerbook LOVER :D

lordofrealbasic said:
only if apple and IBM Joined together they would be a lot better off.

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the PowerPC processor (G3/G4/G5) made by IBM?

I am impressed with your results running VirtualPC on your mac, I have a 1GHZ G4 eMac with VPC/windows xp on it, and VPC runs so slow it is almost unbearable for me!!

EDIT: Lordofrealbasic, your website appears to not be working. I use RB too, was looking forward to a new site on the subject.

Both IBM and Motorola (now "Freescale") make PowerPC chips. Apple used primarily Motorola chips in the beginning, and IBM chips more recently, but has used both in their machines for quite a few years.

I still don't see how Apple teaming up with IBM will make them produce better chips for the Macintosh platform, especially in light of the fact that we won't be using PowerPC chips much longer. That's like saying that Apple teaming up with Western Digital (or Seagate, or Intel, or Belkin, or ATi, or NVidia) would make both companies better off... ???

I hate to be a jerk, but there is no way VPC on your Mac should be running faster than a similar class real PC.

We've got VPC running on several machines and at best, it's tolerable, but NEVER anywhere near as fast as the real thing.

I hate to be a jerk, but there is no way VPC on your Mac should be running faster than a similar class real PC.

Unless, of course, the real PC is filled up with viruses and spyware, and the freshly installed Virtual PC isn't.

If his PC was infected with a few bugs, VPC on a Mac might actually run XP faster. It's amazing how much a virus can cripple even the latest machines (AMD64s for example).

...but then the comparison is moot, since those are technically two different operating systems.

Might as well say, "My G5 beats my VCR hands-down."

Sorry to butt in, but I think that the original post wasn't intended to actually mean the company IBM, but was misconstrued with Microsoft. (maker of VPC)

I agree, however, that the PC must be filled with a virus, spyware, etc. There's no way emulation can be faster than the real thing (especially when the hardware emulating the system is nearly half the speed of the PC system)

Also... 128 megs ram?!??! Wow... the regular minimum of XP is 128, and that's not even emulated!

Qion said:
Sorry to butt in, but I think that the original post wasn't intended to actually mean the company IBM, but was misconstrued with Microsoft. (maker of VPC)

I agree, however, that the PC must be filled with a virus, spyware, etc. There's no way emulation can be faster than the real thing (especially when the hardware emulating the system is nearly half the speed of the PC system)

Also... 128 megs ram?!??! Wow... the regular minimum of XP is 128, and that's not even emulated!

Yea; my server has 64MB RAM and XP Pro dosent run too well at all....

EDIT: Although the 'server' is a HP Kayak XA 300Mhz...

There is something far wrong with your windows pc then, sugest you so a nice wee health check on it. Virtual pc hould hardly run on your 700.

Yeah, your PC has issues.

It should run at LEAST doubly fast, since VPC emulates at around 60% CPU and has to emulate every memory address and video card call.

I'd be formatting your PC or running LavaSoft's excellent AdAware.

If he really did have spyware, AdAware would not be sufficient at all. Reformatting at this point, and installing something besides XP would be much better (2K).

Or, err.. just use msconfig and remove all startup programs, restart - wa-la! Back to normal (if spyware is the problem).

Back