WindowsXP ads..stop the horror!

THe difference is, Apple boxes have style! A great font, a clear, white background, good photos...but the MS stuff often looks like the packaging of an action game

Ulrik is on to something. MS continually copies what Apple has done, but they can't seem to grasp the subtle aspects of the Mac GUI that Apple has always put a lot of thought and research into. Although I am not nearly as sharp as most of you guys in running my Mac, I have a Masters in Human Computer Interaction, so interfaces are my thing. I work at a REALLY big technology company - the biggest if that helps - and all the best interface designers I know all have Macs at home

Jobs was right when he said MS has no culture. They just don't get it - time and time again - the paper clip, dynamic menus, useless default settings that everyone turns off (or struggles to find a way to trun off). Back to the culture thing - It's like Apple is a Broadway show and MS is community theater - they are singing the same songs, but it just ain't the same. Okay, Broadway wouldn't be my best idea of high culture, but it was all I could think of right now.

well, that you maybe should never dress in green and blue ;) it basically just says that it is a bad colour combination...well, that's of course up to personal taste

Originally posted by karavite
I have a Masters in Human Computer Interaction, so interfaces are my thing.
Interresting... Do you agree with John Sirracusa's critiques of Mac OS X ?

hey, what do you expect? It's just a simple german sentence... ;)
Seriously, there is no deeper meaning behind these words...the cause might be that it comes from a rather uncivilizied region in Germany called Hessen (where I happen to live)...

Originally posted by ulrik
Make it seem faster? Then you have to give it acceleration-holes (hehe, only Simpsons-fans might get this one)

speeeed holes, not acceleration holes. spppppeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd holes. say it with me now, speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed holes. (btw, im a BIG simpsons fan)

what? :p

Interresting... Do you agree with John Sirracusa's critiques of Mac OS X ?

I only saw the article on Beta and if nothing else, it sure is complete! It's interesting that many of his negative critiques were addressed in 10. That many of these existed, even in the Beta, seems to support the rumors that Apple dumped its incredible usability staff and now relies more on industrial designers. However, they did turn things around, so I doubt Apple has lost its institutional knowledge on making great interfaces. However, I think they did lose a little - remember QuickTime 4 and its "portable handheld device" look that was quickly dumped. I'd guess the industrial designer types took too many liberties there. There are a few usability dead ends in OS X that give me an easy feeling I have only found in Windows - however, most of this might be my dealing with the loss of my beloved Apple menu, though Siracusa makes the best argument I could ever imagine for needing something similar and the dock just isn't the same. Aslo, I have run QuicKeys for 8 years on all my Macs and I can not imagine why Apple didn't buy them out or at least bundle it on every Mac.

All in all, OS X does a lot of things better than 9 (I'm speaking strictly about usability here), but there are a few minor misses that I bet will be improved on. They didn't exactly throw out the baby with the bath water, and that's good.

However, all our little picky items will pale in comparison to good old XP. MS just does not get it! Wait and see - GUI by committees and it shows every time (not to mention devious little marketing gems that piss us all off).

Pascal,

I was rather referring to John Siracusa's critique of Mac OS X 10.1.

Duh! Sorry. In short, I think he is very constructive and thoughtful in his findings on the UI, and many of his ideas would go a long way to making OS X more functional for all Mac users - especially new users.

I think he makes his best point about himself and OS X when he said:

I'll stop now, because I think you get the picture. But you may think "the picture" is that of a pedant determined to find every little thing wrong with the Mac OS X finder, so let me explain.

Taken individually, the bugs and problems listed above may not seem that bad (although some are pretty troubling on their own). But they combine to thwart any attempt to recreate the interface that has defined the Mac user experience since 1984

Back