Wine?

Wine isn't an emulator. It's a compatibility layer that translates Win32 API function calls (used by Windows applications) into the corresponding *nix function calls. Thats why the apps run at native speeds since the overhead of translating the calls is cheap as it's usually a one-to-one mapping.

Since it isn't emulation and since Windows apps are written for the PC and thus require underlying PC hardware to work, Wine isn't going to work on any machine that isn't x86 based, like Macs. There is a project to try and port wine to PPC Darwin, but that's still in very early alpha stage.

I personally see no viable reason for Wine or Wine-like functionality on the Mac. Remember, it's a thunking layer, not a platform emulator. If you're looking for a Windows environment on your Mac, use Virtual PC or Qemu and build a properly emulated virtual machine. If you're looking for cross-platform coding solutions, look at Java, Python+TCL, Mono, etc.

$.02

Well, once darwine reaches a good stage of completeness, I'll likely try it out. Not that there are any Windows apps I actually want to run, I'm just curious...

Virtual PC? Yes because Macs can do it.

But no because its a MicroSoft OS and like draggin Joe Foreman around by your underwear . . . . . its a little on the slow side and very irritating.

By a 2nd hand PC, bung MS on it and plug it into your network . . . . for whatever reason. Can't see a need for it?

What is the robbing of a bank compared to the founding of a bank?
-- Bertold Brecht

Answer: Ask Robin Banks
-- Robin Banks

...buy a cheap PC, and use Remote Desktop to control it from your Mac. It is the only way to get decent (sic!) performance. I use it a lot to get screen movies and screen dumps for tutorials and instruction material, and it beats every other method hands down.

I used to use Camtasia and similar software on the PC earlier, but using Remote Desktop and Snapz Pro instead really works a lot better. It also has the added bonus of letting me save all images and movies in the same place, and to encode all the movies with the same codec at once, without the hassle of setting up servers and such.

Getting Windows software to run at acceptable performance levels in VPC requires a really hard core Mac, and a lot of RAM -- especially if the application requires Win XP. A cheap PC can get you as good results, and you won't have to reserve several GBs of disk space on your Mac.

Remote Desktop is freeware, and can be downloaded from Mactopia:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

Back