Wireless disconnect

nealt

Registered
I have a new macbook pro and use a dlink 2310 b/g router. Wifi drops out about 3 times per hour. If I go through network diagnostics it will reconnect. At the same time my new iPad in the same location does not disconnect.

Any suggestions?

I have a new macbook pro and use a dlink 2310 b/g router. Wifi drops out about 3 times per hour. If I go through network diagnostics it will reconnect. At the same time my new iPad in the same location does not disconnect.

Any suggestions?

1. Reset Your PRAM.

2. Turn off Airport card. Then open System Preferences->Network pane and at the top of Network pane is location. Use that drop-down bar to create a new location calling it whatever you like. Lastly hit the 'Apply' button in the Network pane to save your new location. Then turn the Airport card back on and rejoin your wireless network.

3. Turn off the Airport card. Navigate to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and move the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist & NetworkInterfaces.plist to the desktop. Then immediately reboot your Mac so those files will be recreated. Lastly rejoin your wireless network.

Lastly download the free application iStumbler and make sure you wireless network is not of the same channel as other networks around you. Plus bookmark the sight How I fixed my dropping wireless Airport connection problem in Snow Leopard

I tried your suggestions with no luck. The Apple forum indicates that this is a common problem. No one has come up with a solution.

Then download the free iStumbler and see if you are on a same channel as another around you. Remember with b or g use only channels 1, 6 & 11. This might help.

How many other networks can you detect?

There is only a limited amount of channels, so if it's 10+ channels, there's a chance someone else is sharing your channel. We've had occasionally the same problem, some of the devices dropping the connection often when someone else's wireless network had activity.
If that's a possibility, you can try to switch the channel and find one that works, or if there are a LOT of channels, get an industrial router that will make it that no one else using the same channel can connect. :)

Well, there are plenty of other possibilities for the cause too, but if there just happens to be a lot of networks around, it's a realistic one to investigate.

Back