Wireless keeps disconecting on Macbook

xelasfx

Registered
I recently bought a Macbook 13.3" Intel Duo Core on 9/7/06. I have my wireless netgear router (WGR614 v7) set up and I have it set to WEP and it works perfectly on my IBM windows XP laptop. When i put the password in on my macbook it doesn't work... so then i tried setting it to WEP 40/128-bit hex and surprisingly it worked.. the only problem now is that it keeps disconnecting me from my wireless so i have to reconnect... as far as preferred networks go, i have it set to my netgear router as the main preferred network so it shouldn't be trying to connect to anything else. do you know anything i can do so it stops disconnecting me?
thank you
i also am using os x 10.4.6

WEP that has been broken so many times it is not funny. WAP is much newer and more secure. Macs work a lot better with WPA.

Try adding a "$" character right before the WEP key (exclude the quotes). However, as SatComer mentioned you would be better off using WPA or WPA2. WEP is VERY insecure and can be cracked very quickly especially with tools like KARMA.

alright thanks i'll try using the $ first and if the problem keeps happening... i'll try switching to WPA

EDIT
i tried the $ thing and it didn't work

Try adding a "$" character right before the WEP key (exclude the quotes). However, as SatComer mentioned you would be better off using WPA or WPA2. WEP is VERY insecure and can be cracked very quickly especially with tools like KARMA.

i tried using the WAP using settings... WPA-PSK encryption type (TKIP) and i put in my passphrase.. then when i tried loggin on my mac it didn't worK :( i did WAP personal

Did you configure your wireless access point to use WPA or WPA2 for encryption? Otherwise, it's not going to work. All the devices (access point and wireless devices) need to have the same type of encryption.

Did you configure your wireless access point to use WPA or WPA2 for encryption? Otherwise, it's not going to work. All the devices (access point and wireless devices) need to have the same type of encryption.

oh it was WPA .. that probably means i need to swtich my router and my access point to WPA.. should i use WPA or WPA2.. my router which i rarely access the wireless with is WEP still as well as my access piont

Enabling Interference Robustness:
grabnb4.png

oh it was WPA .. that probably means i need to swtich my router and my access point to WPA.. should i use WPA or WPA2.. my router which i rarely access the wireless with is WEP still as well as my access piont

Check to see if there are firmware updates for your access point (usually available at the manufacturer's site). It's possible that the firmware updates might include support for WPA and/or WPA2 on an access point that only used to support WEP. If not, then you can only use whatever is supported by your access point. If it can only do WEP, then you're going to have to use WEP (but be sure to use other levels of security such as a firewall, MAC filtering, etc.) But it's preferable to upgrade your access point or buy a new one that can support WPA/WPA2.

I got your PM, but I won't be able to connect right now to IM. I will try to be on later tonight if possible. Otherwise, we can just do it through PM. :)

oh my access point has WPA and WPA2 but I would prefer WEP for ease... i don't really care much for security haha. i just cant figure out why it keeps disconecting me

ahh i still get the same problem :( it keeps disconnecting... oh yah is there a way to make it so when you shut your screen it doesn't go to sleep it just stays the same

Weird that it keeps disconnecting. I have a Linksys WRT54G ver 3 and it does that with any computer that accesses it. :confused: Have you tried moving the access point around to see if it's a signal problem?

As for changing the mode when closing the screen, you can change the setitngs in System Preferences-->Energy Saver.

are your network settings (system preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Options) set to Automatically join an open network if no preferred networks are found?

Back