wireless keyboard and mouse

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
So I'm assuming these were announced in paris... I'm a bit disappointed with them being white though. I was hoping they would come up with something that matched the G5 better.

Are all computers shipping with them? or is it an upgrade? I just went to the apple store and didn't see a way to add the wireless keyboard / mouse to a new G5.

Guess that'll either come at a later point in time (adding them to your G5) or not being added at all, at least not as a replacement for the normal keyboard/mouse, as you'll need them to use your computer in single-user mode or in open firmware (the BT keyboard can't be used if the BT stack hasn't loaded).

Good point.
Im not a big fan of wireless keyboard and mice in the first place. As if I dont already have enough remotes to buy batteries for...

I'm all for choices, but personally I dig the white keyboards. I ordered one for my G4.

The reason I like em is this: I often compute at night with only the glow of the monitor to light the keys - and that's just not enough if you're using the black keyboard. The white one is much better in that regard...

Am I the only one that thinks that both the keyboard and mouse for $140 is way over-priced for what they provide?

Look at the functionality of the Logitech MX Duo. Both keyboard and mouse for around $89.

Apple wants to sell this wireless keyboard (which is quite too soft to the touch from a typists standpoint) and mouse (still only one-button) for $69 each!!

I think they look nice, but I want function. I'll stick with the logitech.

-Wireless is good
-The price is typical Apple
-They are optional
-They seem ok
-White is good
-blah-blah

But where are the Apple PRO mice and keyboards? You know... The REAL innovations!!! :mad:

Yep, bit of a miss for me this one. Great for stylish public spaces with the LCD iMacs, but I want power in my fingertips. Bet Gandalf never used an Apple single button mouse (probably a Logitech or Kensington).

Originally posted by Nosh
MEOTIRGVKEJNRCFEIJK!

loloolololololol hahahhahahaha....you missed a couple exclamation marks ;-)!!

that needs to become a smiley or icon to click on and add to the message

Uh, I know it's a touchy subject for some (it is for me), but it's bad for Apple to have the one-button mouse. I believe it costs Apple sales. I've chatted with people (both online and in person) and many didn't know that two-button mice were available and worked seamlessly in OS X. The fact that Mac OS X has built-in support for a right click (and scroll) makes the decision to stick with a one-button mouse all the more questionable.

Yes, but there is a reason for this. Having only one mouse button was found - in the early days - to reduce training time and help calls by about 6%.

So how easy is it to switch which computer the wireless keyboard / mouse is talking to?

Would be nice to have one keyboard that can switch between two different bluetooth macs on the same desk.

Originally posted by symphonix
Yes, but there is a reason for this. Having only one mouse button was found - in the early days - to reduce training time and help calls by about 6%.

- in the early days - tech support used to be free even after the 90 days (or one year hard ware related) now wouldn't they make a profit off of at least half of that 6%?

You would have to pair up the bluetooth devices each time you switched. Also, the switching hardware would not be on bluetooth, so you would need a wired connection somewhere close to your keyboard location to make the switch in the first place. Kind of negates the 'wireless' part. Much simpler to use a KVM with a wired keyboard

Oh wow. Now I've got to complain: for every mac user out there that cries over not having a two-button mouse: SHUT UP! There's no way on earth you can be lazy enough to not even reach over and press the control key while clicking! And a scroll wheel? While it would be nice...WHO CARES! Not like you're going to browsing a 90000 pixel website under a 640 resolution!

From a designers standpoint, and a daily mac user (geek) Apple has the best mice out on the market. And now that they're wireless...who knows what will happen!

But please...just stop complaining...honestly nobody wants to hear it. :)

Obviously you don't want to hear it, but some of us like to vent about it. I personally don't know why Apple doesn't offer a multibutton mouse as an option. Sure, it'll keep things simple for the Luddites getting their first computer, or the moms & pops who don't know much about this teknolijy stuff, but for power users, it's a small but still present extra expense. Multibutton mice allow you to do more actions with more fingers on the mouse than having to use another hand for the control key, use the arrow keys or the scroll bar to scroll, etc. They are far more convenient, which is why many people buy them. If you're happy in your world of 1-buttonness and purple happiness, then that's fine, but don't try to keep us from venting about it, because eventually Apple will have to take notice.

I agree. Novices should have the standard one button mouse. Apple should offer the option to every buyer to get a multi-button mouse, and just charge them an extra $10 or whatever. This way, everybody's happy. Newbies get simplicity. Pros get a kick ass Apple mouse that has multiple buttons.

btw, Two buttons with a clickable scroll wheel is just fine for me. Anything more seems excessive

...until you play Battlefield: 1942 (unfortunately, still not for Mac :() and see how useful it is to assign Mouse 4 to reload and Mouse 5 to prone. :)

I would like having more than 2 mouse buttons, and I actually do. My iMac's mouse has 3 buttons since the wheel isn't clickable (it's a trackball, not a wheel), and I have the 3rd button set to double-click by default. The 4th and 5th buttons can be set to stuff like forward & backward in a browser, or page up/down in Word or TextEdit, or Levels and Gaussian Blur in Photoshop, or... well, you get the idea. And of course games always benefit from having more mouse buttons.

Trip, Apple mice just plain suck®.
One-button Apple Pro Mouse: $60
Two-button with scroll Logitech Mouse: $30

Originally posted by adambyte
btw, Two buttons with a clickable scroll wheel is just fine for me. Anything more seems excessive
I use a Kensington Turbo Mouse at work with Mac OS 9. Big honkin' scroll ball and four customizable buttons.

Button 1 - Click
Button 2 - Option-Click
Button 3 - Enter
Button 4 - Command-W (close window)

I FLY through windows and dialog boxes. Maybe it's excessive to you, but it's a real boon to me and my workflow.

And BTW, if you are a gamer, you pretty much need a right-click. Starcraft - almost a necessity. Unreal - almost a necessity. Any serious gamer who is looking at the Mac sees the pathetic one-button mouse as a check against Apple.

Back