Wireless software

Paul C

Registered
Does anyone know of any decent software which will give me signal strengths and available wireless networks? all the ones I've found are for airport cards and I'm using a belkin wireless bridge, basically I'm using a Belkin wireless router and used to have a powermac with a airport card which worked find but my wireless bridge keeps dropping the connection and I wanna know what the signal strength is as I'm going to complain to Belkin because I'm not very far from the wireless router, I've even set the router to mixed b & g mode for a better signal :(

Also how do I remove the airport icon out of the toolbar at the top of the screen (near the date and time)?

Thanks

Paul

how to remove? you just hold command and drag it ;)

i'm not sure i understand your first question.
you dont have an airport card, and airstumbler and all the other applications of that type just uses airportcards to scan the surroundings?

Remove the icon, thanks :)

Macstumbler says I haven't got an airport card (which I haven't) and istumbler only has gps, bluetooth, etc and no wireless ethernet bridge :(

Both these programs give me signal strength using a netgear wireless router.

how does an ethernet brige work? is it like a short ethernet cable leading from your mac to a little gizmo that send and receive signals?

You're mixing up your "wired" and "wireless" terms.
iStumbler is great for picking up "wireless" signals—not ethernet or "wired" signals.

iStumbler works with my Linksys system so I don't think it's brand specific.

If you want to see your Ethernet/Wired connection, go to your apple menu and go to "About this Mac" and then hit "more info"/Ethernet.

KisMAC is a great one. Can show your signal strength, open hosts, and all available networks plus more. Your router shouldn't be an issue with the AP tracking. On top of that, KisMAC also works with Prism2 based NICs if you ever want to use another card.

AP Grapher doesn't work either, I'll give KisMAC a go tonight, thanks for all the help guys, you never fail to impress :)

I don't wanna jump the gun and say it's not going to work, but I believe that KisMAC isn't going to find your wireless network either -- simply because those wireless ethernet bridges are "hacks." I don't mean that in a bad way -- I just mean that, to the computer, it's a wired connection. It comes in through the ethernet port, you configure the network on the Mac to use the ethernet connection, and for all intents and purposes to the computer, it's a wired ethernet connection. The box itself does all the wireless translation and what-not, but to the computer, there's no wireless connection.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I don't wanna jump the gun and say it's not going to work, but I believe that KisMAC isn't going to find your wireless network either -- simply because those wireless ethernet bridges are "hacks." I don't mean that in a bad way -- I just mean that, to the computer, it's a wired connection. It comes in through the ethernet port, you configure the network on the Mac to use the ethernet connection, and for all intents and purposes to the computer, it's a wired ethernet connection. The box itself does all the wireless translation and what-not, but to the computer, there's no wireless connection.

That what I was thinkin :(

I would have got an Airport Extreme but the mac mini requires an Apple engineer to install it and I can't afford to be sending it off to Apple, the only other option was a USB wireless adaptor but they only work in 802.11b

Back