WMP v. 10...

mac_vs_pc

Registered
Anyone seen the latest from M$?!? I just found version 10 of their Media Player. I did install it on my 1 Windows machine (still have 3 Macs to the one)... and I am sorry... but this newest version is a direct rip off of iTunes.... When is Microsoft going to come out with something original... I guess that is why I am such a follower and power user of the Macintosh... Performance, virus free, and most importantly... original. Thoughts out there?

thought: I decided that microsoft was not going to figure out anything new when Windows 95 was released, and I haven't seen anything yet to change that opinion :)

How is it a rip-off of iTunes? I mean... yeah, they both play mp3's, they both play movies... erm. Ok, so iTunes doesn't play movies.

What part of media player escapes you? I hate to sound like I'm flaming you, I'm not; it's just that I don't understand how it's a rip-off. If that's the case, then you'd need to include RealPlayer/RealONE as well. And Helix - a spin-off from RealPlayer for Linux/BSD.

And WinAMP. And K-Jofol. And Sonique. And... hmmmm... I'm just not following where this is a rip-off.

I don't see the connection either - WMP 10 has a very different UI. It's also the nicest to date and certainly an improvement over WMP 9 at least GUI-wise.

mac_vs_pc said:
Anyone seen the latest from M$?!? I just found version 10 of their Media Player. I did install it on my 1 Windows machine (still have 3 Macs to the one)... and I am sorry... but this newest version is a direct rip off of iTunes.... When is Microsoft going to come out with something original... I guess that is why I am such a follower and power user of the Macintosh... Performance, virus free, and most importantly... original. Thoughts out there?
Welcome to several months ago. However, I am at a loss to see the similarity between the GUI's of WMP 10 and iTunes. Whereas iTunes is the paragon of ease of use, I have a helluva time figuring out WMP 10. The thing about WMP 10 that concerns me is that it implements Microsoft's new come-on, come-all DRM scheme.

iTunes also plays movie clips. Some movie trailers on the QuickTime web page play through iTunes.
WMP and iTunes do have some of the same functions, so some parts will always be similar, but otherwise, these 2 have little in common (that's a Good Thing!)

The two have very different UI's, except for the music store in WMP v.10. They used the apple-style brushed metal interface, no doubt a rip from iTMS.

There are a few differences between the two.... but when I set my Powerbook and my Dell side by side, my fianceé immediately saw what I saw.. nearly an identical GUI. As I played with WMP a bit, I realized that it indeed does not have the ease of functionality of iTunes... use the visualizer as an example. WMP has a few extra bells and whistles, but I just don't understand how people are for the "click this, then this, then this..." approach when Mac typically will give you a one click and you are there concept. I realize that audio files are going to be handled in a similar fashion across different programs, but the near word for word list on the side with the table layout on the right is also the same... has got to raise a few eyebrows. Okay.. one last point, then I will step off my box... why is it that M$ insists on doing everything for you? EXAMPLE... when I first setup WMP 10, it asked about finding MP3s and such... I clicked "NO". I want to use iTunes and only iTunes.. unless there is a moment where I have to use WMP. Yet, it brought it everything on my drive anyway... hmm... of course I had the thought, did I click the right button... yes. Just a question for someone, why won't WMP list Quicktime files as compatible playback files? It is obvious that QT is leading the compression game?

With all due respect... cry me a river. And after you wipe your eyes then what are you going to do?

Face it, it happens all the time and in all walks of life. People copy each other. It's like students copying homework or tests in school. When you're directly involved in it, it's like "meh, no big deal." But outside that circle and you're talking about it you're like "gasp! that's horrible. ugh!"

So what if M$ copied iTunes. Does that mean it's going to be any better a product? No, I still think WMP is a piece of crap. Cinderalla needed an act of [a fairy] God [mother] to look nice, not just put on a pretty dress.

No river here... I would just hope that M$ would begin to generate more original material since they are the "empire" in the computing world instead of capitalizing on others ideas... yes, I know this is the trend in the computer world... doesn't mean I have to agree. BTW, I like the cinderella analogy.

Believe me, you DON'T want "original" ideas from M$. *koff* trusted computing platform *koff*

Or *koff* .Net *koff*

It's also funny that a lot of people were flaming Apple because of Dash board being a rip off of Konfabulator, then someone else came along as said "nuh-uh! Apple had the same feature way way back in blah blah blah. So they're not copying they're reinventing something they already made once upon a time."

Ideas get rehashed, like tv shows and movies. These days, nothing new excites or surprises me anymore. I stopped caring for "innovation" but instead look forward to what works and what is executed better.

You know, that is not necessarily a bad philosophy to have... Perhaps I should learn to adopt that same train of thought myself.

i've seen the similarities.... look, not in the main window, but in the library.

there, set out ever so nicely, is a source bar on the left, with the main library, the current cd, and a list of playlists, user created. then, in the main window is all the music, listed, in columns.

to be honest, many people have nicked this format (source/listed library) off apple in the last 3 years. however. WM v.10 goes one further....

seperating all the tracks, breaking them up, is alternate white and faint blue lines....

it looks very very similar to itunes in the library...

if only macs could queue up videos though... and view them in full screen... and without vlc

I find it funny a company such as Apple who has only 3-5% market share influences a mega corp like M$ the way they do. Why does M$ copy just about every thing Apple does? Really if M$ is the dominate why do they give such a s*&^ what a 3 -5% market share do?

Oooohhhh, it makes me wonder....

Back