Working too Hard

jwf222

Registered
When I close my MacBook Pro, wether or not it's plugged in, it makes a lot of noise, It almost sounds like restarting over and over, but it's not. It's not cool becasue I have to keep it open all the time or shut it down. My battery life is around an hour as well, and these two things happened at the same time. Any idea what's going on?

the link is for 15 inchers, mines 17, i tried plugging 17 in but the page wasnt found, so im assuming they just recalled some of the 15's? thanks for the suggestion, but no dice there.

Your MacBook should sleep when you close the lid. You can watch for the light flashing on the display latch button. Also the display will go off when sleeping - the Apple on the top of the lid should be off, and stay off.
If your MacBook does not sleep when you close the lid, then it will get quite hot - probably too hot, and certainly not good.

Does your MacBook Pro sleep when you shut the lid? If not, it needs to be serviced.

no it doesnt sleep, and yes, it does get hot. i just dont ever close it. the heat or something is probably causing my depleted battery life. theres no mac store near where i live though, which is why i havent had it serviced, i was hoping maybe it was a problem i could fix.

Can you make it sleep from the Apple menu?
If not, and if you are still in warranty (less than 1 year old), then you can call Apple, and get some guidance. If there is a hardware problem that needs repairing, Apple can usually send a shipping box for you to use to ship your MBPro in for repairs.
Have you tried the hardware test that is on your restore disk?

Remember that when you close the lid, the MacBook still has to save the RAM's content to the harddrive and prepare for sleep. It's not instant as it used to be a couple of years ago. Let it do its thing for, say, a minute or two. If it finally _does_ go to sleep, all should be well.

I'm not exactly sure that you have to get it serviced because I have seen before that it was a software problem and not a hardware problem.

yeah it never goes to sleep, it does that full time when closed. i guess ill have to ship it back to find out if its hardware or software and get it fixed, it doesnt seem anyone has ever had this problem. it sucks i didnt know i had a one year warranty, i just had my one year anniversy last week!

maybe its the battery causing this? its the ol' chicken and the egg. since it's been happening my battery life has been cut in half, and the bottom gets super hot. i dont know if that IS the problem, or if that's hapening becasue of another problem. but from what i understand only the 15" batteries were recalled, right?

Yes, there is a recall program, which does not affect your 17-inch. That does not mean that you don't have a failed/failing battery with a problem similar to those being recalled. That would be an even better reason to get your PowerBook to someone who can test it, evaluate the battery, and give you a likely scenario for getting your PowerBook back to good health....

Back