World Cup 2006

bbloke

Registered
We have quite a diverse range of nationalities represented here, so I was wondering how many people are following the World Cup 2006 (football/soccer).

England seemed to have started as they mean to go on, by showing flashes of greatness mixed with some poor performance too! I didn't expect Ivory Coast to do as well as they did against Argentina, nor did I expect Trinidad and Tobago to hold off Sweden to a 0-0 draw...

For those who are interested, you can obtain a World Cup widget, named "FIFA World Cup 2006 Schedule Dashboard Widget," at:

http://headphono.us/fifa-world-cup-2006-schedule-dashboard-widget/

and a more in-depth program, named "Germany2006," at:

http://www.e-link.it/germany2006/download_en.html

Yeah, Argentina always seems to lose steam towards the end, which is why Ivory Coast was able to get in that goal. It never fails with Argentina. :rolleyes:

And yes, my ethnicity is from Argentina though I was born here in the US. :p

I'm DVRing the USA vs. Czech Republic game so I can watch it after work.

I was also happy to see T&T move to the next round. I hope they make it far enough if not towards the end. :)

"move to the next round"? We're _not_ quite there yet. Cup system only starts after the group round. ;)

I'm of course all for Switzerland this time (it's not _that_ often that we're part of the World Cup), but I guess it'll be hard to beat Brazil for _any_ team this year - and I've been a fan of their team all my life, really - so I guess and hope they'll win. Unless Switzerland would make it to the finals that is. Then I couldn't help but be happy for any team to win. ;)

fryke said:
"move to the next round"? We're _not_ quite there yet. Cup system only starts after the group round. ;)

Poor choice of words I guess, but you know what I mean. :p

The commentary I'd heard snippets of seemed to imply the Argentina vs. Ivory Coast match might have been the best so far (OK, the tournament has only just started!) and that Ivory Coast actually played very well.

I also hear the US team has been getting much better over the years, so it will be interesting to see how they do this time round.

England certainly seemed to "run out of steam" (or produce too much of it when overheating!) against Paraguay. Mmm, never watch England play if you have a heart condition!

Maybe the Swiss will have an advantage: living up in chalets in those Alps, and therefore producing more red blood cells. ;)

I do agree that Ivory Coast played a great game, but they did kind of lose steam at the end. They were dominating the ball considerably during the first halg, but for moments of the second half they were just standing around waiting for the ball.

Speaking of the World Cup, I'm going to try and set up a box to stream the games so I don't miss them while I'm here at work. Sure, I can DVR it but it's not like watching them live, even if it is from your computer. :p

Thank God for working from my home office. :) ... Japan 1:0 Australia - first half. Now let's see whether Australia can come back in the second half. :)

fryke said:
Thank God for working from my home office. :) ... Japan 1:0 Australia - first half. Now let's see whether Australia can come back in the second half. :)
And the final result........... :eek:

(I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who might be wanting to watch the highlights today.)

I HATE FOOTBALL!

So does my wife, but for some weird and wonderful reason she wants to watch the World Cup.

Talk about role-reversal!

Hehe... Hm. What: Now we _can't_ talk about results? The game USA vs. Czech Rep. is in its final minutes and I _want_ to talk about the result... *grin* Well, okay: If you don't want to know the result, don't read below the next line.

SPOILER...

Okay. I think that at the beginning of the game, after the first Czech goal, the USA didn't even look that bad. The end result maybe doesn't reflect the game completely, but I guess the USA have to admit that there simply was much more class to the Czechs' game. 0:3 might sound harsh, though... Game finished now, so that's the end result, as well.

ah, the americans. ;) "soccer" is "football". what you _hate_ is "american football" for the rest of the world. but you knew that already, i guess.

fryke said:
ah, the americans. ;) "soccer" is "football". what you _hate_ is "american football" for the rest of the world. but you knew that already, i guess.

BUT OF COURSE!! I've known this since I was a wee lad.

I was just harassing CQ as per the daily usual. ::ha::

To add, I still to this day don't understand why it's called "football" when referring to American football if the foot is barely ever used. :rolleyes:

Btw.: Italy vs. Ghana is quite certainly the best match at the World Cup 2006 so far. Let's hope that the second half will bring more goals - but otherwise just more of the same. 's been good! (1:0 for Italy so far.)

Everyone should by now have had a chance to view the highlights if they could not watch the games live, so I'll talk quite freely of the scores now! I felt sorry for Japan, leading 1-0 until the final few minutes, and then conceding three! :eek:

Italy beating Ghana 2-0 was not really unexpected for me, but I didn't watch the match, so I don't know how well it went for both sides in terms of the flow of play.

Commiserations to the USA, having been beaten 3-0 by the Czech Republic. I don't know how much better the US team is now, compared to a few years ago, but the Czechs have often been quite a strong team.

Ooooh, France vs. Switzerland today, eh? ;)

I don't think the Japs should of had that goal allowed, from what I saw the keeper was definitely shoved out of the way!

Just caught the second half of Togo v Korea match, surprisingly good to watch. I think the Togo striker, Adebayor should of been taken off at some point though. He was constantly standing offside and hardly moving at all. He would play a ball to someone then instead of moving he'd just stand in the same spot and they'd loose possession needlessly.

Looking forward to Englands next match on Thursday.

Back