World Cup 2006

Italians are the champions for provaction and diving. "Can't play the ball go for the man." The Portugese were bad imitators in the France/Portugal match. Materazzi is well know in Italy for provacation and although a hero for the Cup an Italian journalist here gave him very low marks in terms of "how to win the game" and his (Italian) way of playing football in general. Rare for an Italian sports journalist...he added "Zidane went out by the small door, our team, in a certain way won through the small door. We have a great team for the future and the French will have to start from zero for the European Cup... but..."
Don't forget it wasn't just one remark it was an accumilation.A Trade Mark in which they are famous. The pro like Zidane fell into the trap.
Again, no matter, Zidane blew it and is out with a "bad taste" but when one considers his career and the man himself he will still be seen as one of the best. No?

What's cooking with the Italian teams (JUV,Milan, etc.) by the way in terms of corruption?

Just a Ps. The Spanish Press were brutal against Zidane (Mr. RealMadrid) before, during and, of course, after Spain/France. "Love him when with us hate him when against us." Short memories. Like the French press as well.

Well, it's like that with any big sports person, I guess. You're only as good as your last game. For example: Swiss goal keeper Pascal Zuberbühler. Before the World Cup, he was known as Switzerland's panic zone. _During_ the World Cup, he did not have to let _one_ goal happen before the penalty shoot-out against Ukraine. (And even there he held the first one.) So while the press _really_ put a lot of pressure on him before the World Cup, they're quite certainly making him a hero this month. But I'm sure that if he ever goes back to old habits, the press will take no minute to reflect on how good he was during the World Cup 2006.

However: As long as you're playing and the trainer trusts you, you can come back. I think Zidane chose a very bad moment for his bad moment. But I guess we all agree here.

If we ever _truly_ find out what happened (why not, _could_ be that both Zidane and Materazzi say the same thing...), there might be another discussion. But for now, if it isn't the image of the headbutt that stays with most people around the world, then it's going to be him walking down to the catacombs, you know which picture I mean: Walking down, the golden cup staying on the field, of course.

....then it's going to be him walking down to the catacombs, you know which picture I mean: Walking down, the golden cup staying on the field ...
That sounds like a passage from Dan Brown. Having you been reading the Da Vinci Code lately?

According to pretty much all the English papers this morning, they've had a lip reader in who speaks Italian and it's claimed that Materazzi had called Zidane a 'son of an Albanian wh*re' also there were implications that the word terrorist was used, which apparently most French Albanians are particularly touchy on. Bare in mind Zidanes mother had been taken into hospital the day before, if this is in fact what was said I personally think to some extent, this would justify Zidanes actions.

According to pretty much all the English papers this morning, they've had a lip reader in who speaks Italian and it's claimed that Materazzi had called Zidane a 'son of an Albanian wh*re' also there were implications that the word terrorist was used, which apparently most French Albanians are particularly touchy on. Bare in mind Zidanes mother had been taken into hospital the day before, if this is in fact what was said I personally think to some extent, this would justify Zidanes actions.

Yes that seems to make sense. I think we are all agreed on all points, more or less. HE JUST SHOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN IN AT SUCH A CRITICAL MOMENT! Period.
An Italian friend here showed me an Italian Press Poll concerning this affair. About half agreed with Zidane (should have punched him in the face to make the Red Card a real Red Card). Okay, now you are saying.... that's sporting but at the same time, he couldn't kick the penalty shot that was so badly needed.
I don't know about you guys but I think we have had our say. Viva Football and let us see what happens in the future. Could be "funny" the eliminations.
All the best.

no, rhisiart. what exactly makes it sound like Dan Brown?
The ethereal quality of your description - the catacombs thing, gold cup (chalice), i.e. nothing exactly. Just poetically written, if I may say so.

I am sure Zidane did not intend to do what he did last Sunday, but he will be remembered for being (i) one of the world's greatest footballers, and (ii) the guy that head-butted someone in a world cup final during his swan song. A very strange juxtaposition - a sort of double achievement of sorts.

He will have not lost any street cred either with fellow Berbers in France.

P.S. His web site is a tad commercial to say the least.

Back