Would it be a good thing if Microsoft disappeared ?

Would it be a good thing if Microsoft disappeared ?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Annihilatus

Yeah I'm sure Apple has a few hundred thousand openings. A friend of mine was considering by both Nvidia and Microsoft for a job (he got the Microsoft job). Apple never even called. In fact, they never show up at our University's career fair.

Andre

What university do you attend? I know for a fact that certain companies recruit only from some of the best schools. It depends on the candidates the company is looking for and what is expected from them. If you're looking for the best programmers in the world, you're not likely to find them at Bob's Community College or some poe-dunk mediocre state university.

Before reading this post, I want you to read this: Humans like what is bad for them.

I don't want M$ to go because viruses will appear for Mac. Otherwise, there would be another reason. I think. :)

Personally, I think that our economy wouldn't be able to handle a sudden meteor to MS. Sure it would be great if it did get an order to stepdown, but there would need to be some sort of transition period, so that Lindows or some other PC-OS could step up and support all of the current MS software, etc, while maintaining security levels to protect the simple user.

With Mac OSX being unix-based and XP being horribly fisher-pricey and controlling, and with the rising generation of kids being computer-savvy, that MS is going to lose user support for their OS. Unless Longhorn turns out to be the huge new MS OS it is supposed to be then I think tides will begin to turn a little at least.

Plus, think of all the hotmail accounts that would be lost...:D

If anyone is interested in a real expert on this question, search on Lawrence Lessig. He is actually a legal expert who specilaizes in information technology, networks, software and copyright laws and was an advisor to judge Jackson in the MS trial (too bad he didn't advise him to keep his mouth shut with reporters prior to his judgement!). Lessig's basic theme - the most innovation occurs when a system is open (desktop to network - you name it).

then what about the :scarcasm: poor windows users who don't own there operating system...? would it stay or would it be droped

glassfish - i've a got a pretty good list started. aol would be a good choice for starters :D

just because m$ is at the top of my bitch list, doesn't mean they've got a monopoly on it :p

Hmm... :)

That would be an alternative, though. The courts should have said: "Okay, we'll take all your monopoly power, but we'll _let you have_ a monopoly on being number one on the top-5-companies-to-bitch-about list."

some more time... and macromedia and adobe starting to do builds of their apps for linux and we'll see a lots of people moving to linux!! my cousin needs stuff that is only for mac and pc but she cant buy a mac at the moment so if she found what she needed (for special video editing, dont ask me) she won't use MS stuff at all..!!

Linux people don't like to pay for anything. Its not a profitable platform. At least not in the PC market.

Originally posted by Sychreus
Unless Longhorn turns out to be the huge new MS OS it is supposed to be then I think tides will begin to turn a little at least.

Who are they kidding?

Longhorn promises "new features" like an easier way to find your files, a search box in the explorer bar, an interface that takes advantage of 3D performance, and increased security, all by 2005, according to that article. Of course, all of these are features currently found in Mac OS X, right now. All Longhorn promises is that it will be the next OS X, but years after X has blown way past it.

Plus, it will be client-only, which is something that X is not. Sure, you can get Mac OS X Server, but many server features (Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL, etc.) are found in the base version of X, not to mention the developer tools. (If you can't figure out how to use the abovementioned technologies, you shouldn't be using them.) Longhorn is simply Microsoft copying Apple yet again, even though it will not be released for another 2 years, by which point Apple will be 2 years ahead of where it is now. (Think of what Mac OS was like 2 years ago, and think of what Windows was like. Which OS has run a marathon, and which is virtually unchanged?)

Yet, the idea of basing the file system on a database might really change how we handle our documents. If we assume that Microsoft succeeds in doing this, this might really be an issue.

However, I'm not yet sure whether MS' way of doing this is right. Maybe we'll see a better approach. And maybe it will come from Apple or the Open Source community (and Apple will implement it in OS X).

I agree a lot with what EdX said:
i wouldn't want to see m$ just completely go away. i would however love to see them become 'just another software company'. i would certainly love to see the demise of word and office and ie. i would like to see a standard format that all word processing apps use with companies differentiating themselves with features, ease of use, quality of interface, etc.

Most of the problem isn't M$' crappy software, but the momentum given to it by marketshare and the ensuing enormous money they are making. If M$ would be just a competitor among many, we would have a healthier situation: more competition, better products.
It would be good to see the monopoly disappear, not the company who has it.

Back