Writing DVD-RAMs with iMac G5s

Gusto

Registered
I have two imac G5s in my office, both with Matshita DVD/CD drives (one is a UJ-845, the other is similar (a 825 I think). Both of these drives are capable of reading and writing to/from DVD-RAM, but within OSX, I can only read DVD-RAMs.

Is anyone aware of a patch/firmware/trick that will open up DVD-RAM writing within OSX? (I'm using the latest version of Tiger.) Thank you!

bobw: are you sure PatchBurn allows DVD-RAM writing? As far as I know, there is no way to write a DVD-RAM under OS X, and I'm not aware that PatchBurn has this functionality.

If it does indeed, I'm mistaken! ;)

The UJ-845 -
Drive Features:

2.4x Speed DVD+R9 Writing (8.5GB Dual Layer)

3x Speed DVD-RAM Writing

8x Speed DVD-R Writing

4x Speed DVD-RW Writing

8x Speed DVD+R Writing

4x Speed DVD+RW Writing

24x Speed CD-R Writing

10x Speed CD-RW Writing

24x Speed CD-ROM Reading

12x Speed DVD-ROM Reading

Buffer Under Run Protection

DVD MULTI Read/Write Support

just while we're here, would i be right in saying that DVD-RAM is exactly that, RAM Optical discs? DVDs that work like flash disks?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

You can identify a DVD-RAM disc due to lots of little rectangles distributed on the surface of the data carrier.
DVD-RAM (DVD–Random Access Memory) is a disc specification presented in 1996 by the DVD Forum, which specifies rewritable DVD-RAM media and the appropriate DVD writers. DVD-RAM media are used in computers as well as camcorders and personal video recorders since 1998.
The term DVD-RAM is a misnomer based on the false assumption that RAM means the opposite of ROM (Read Only Memory). However, RAM stands for Random Access Memory (computer chips) and DVD's can inherently not use the random access method.
Compared with other writeable DVDs, DVD-RAM is more closely related to hard disk technology, as it has concentric tracks instead of one long spiral track. Unlike the competing formats DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW, you do not need special DVD burning software to write or read DVD-RAMs on a computer. DVD-RAMs can be accessed like a usual floppy disk or hard drive.

bobw said:
The UJ-845 -
Drive Features:

2.4x Speed DVD+R9 Writing (8.5GB Dual Layer)

3x Speed DVD-RAM Writing

8x Speed DVD-R Writing

4x Speed DVD-RW Writing

8x Speed DVD+R Writing

4x Speed DVD+RW Writing

24x Speed CD-R Writing

10x Speed CD-RW Writing

24x Speed CD-ROM Reading

12x Speed DVD-ROM Reading

Buffer Under Run Protection

DVD MULTI Read/Write Support

Right... but we all know that just because a piece of hardware has the capability to operate in a certain mode doesn't mean that Apple gives you the ability to use that mode, and sometimes they intentionally cripple it from using a specific mode.

I did find definitively that Mac OS X does indeed support DVD-RAM writing:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106610

As per that tech note, are you getting that same error message listed in that document? Also, are you using the caddy for the DVD-RAM (caddys must be used to write to DVD-RAM disks from what I hear)?

Hey ElDiablo,

Thanks for the page on the Apple site. It sounds like I'm close, but have two problems:
I'm using a "naked" DVD-RAM disc, as my iMac G5 is a slot drive. There is no option to use a caddy.

Second problem, the one DVD-RAM disc I have is formatted for UDF. I've tried using the Disc Utility to re-format it to HFS or UFS, but the choices are all "greyed out" and the screen indicates it's a read-only device.

I know the drive is hardware capable, and with Mac's history of DVD-RAM support, it's difficult to believe it can't be done. But perhaps it is impossible at the moment.

Thanks for your input. I'm open to more ideas!

I am one of the guys on XLR8 that flashed my Dualcore G5 DVR-110D to a DVR110 to enable DVD-RAM write (as purchased would only read). Works good.

I first used DVD-RAM with my LG-4163b in my G4. At first, I was just curious but once you use it, you will need it. Its awesome, basically a 4.7GB floppy drive. No need to burn anything, just drag and drop, done.

The caddy style DVD-RAM discs are the old style. The newer ones are all bare discs, if you can't find any, try the dvd section of the electronics stores, many of the DVD recorders use these discs. Maxell work really good in my G5. Get 5x if possible.

The big problems you have are that you need something to flash the drive. In my case, DVRFlash is available to do the deed. Second, you need the DVD-RAM capable firmware. I found these for my machine at http://forum.rpc1.org

The big problem as I understand it is that the firmware is all PC code, so unless you have a mac application to use that code, there is no way to update it in your computer (maybe VPC but scary). IE, I used PC firmware and DVRFlash which was written to flash the firmware on Macs using that code.

Check out the forums, maybe comeone there can help.

I don't understand why DVD-RAM isn't more popular, it is awesome!

If you have any questions, I will try to help but understand beyond actually being stupid enough to change my drive family (110D->110 is a different family) and take the risk of frying my drive, I'm not a computer expert.

later
Tim

Back