WWDC 2007. thoughts? guesses?

Am I the only one to noticed Steve on the stage was using TWO external iSights on his onstage iMac?

yah, I noticed too, I was like, why the heck does he have two isights if they're discontinued.

Are there still any "secrets" left? Is this it? I am not sure why people should bother upgrading from Tiger. Or am I missing something? Perhaps we would be better off pay th $39 US for PathFinder...

Am I the only one to noticed Steve on the stage was using TWO external iSights on his onstage iMac?

He has two so that if one failed, he would have another one ready to go during any demos. Pretty much standard. You can go back to other Keynotes and see the same thing.

He has two so that if one failed, he would have another one ready to go during any demos. Pretty much standard. You can go back to other Keynotes and see the same thing.

Yea I know that but why three? Doesn't the iMac have a built-in iSight?

Yea I know that but why three? Doesn't the iMac have a built-in iSight?

Steve wasn't using an iMac with a built in iSight. He was using the apple display with 2 external isights. Not sure if its the 20 or the 23 inch display though.

Are there still any "secrets" left? Is this it? I am not sure why people should bother upgrading from Tiger. Or am I missing something? Perhaps we would be better off pay th $39 US for PathFinder...

As for why people would upgrade from Tiger, there have been a few more features for Leopard released at the WWDC keynote which weren't publicised before. I think it looks impressive - not ground breaking, but certainly impressive enough to have most people upgrading right away.

But the more disturbing question is - are there any secrets left? We have our iPhone, which combines most of the popular rumours of the past five years: a tablet Mac, a sub-notebook based on flash memory, a widescreen touchscreen iPod. We have our home video system AppleTV. We have an office suite (iWork). Just about every far out, unthinkable rumour that we were dismissing as silly over the last few years seems to have come true, one way or another. So, what is left? Are there any secret projects back there in Apple campus?

The iPhone, quite certainly, does _not_ replace either a subnotebook (good keyboard, full OS & apps capability) or a tablet (full OS & apps capability, larger size). It does replace the idea of a Newton revival, possibly.

I'll upgrade to Leopard for iChat. I believe that application is Leopard's biggest "gotta have it" feature.

I think that once developers start taking advantage of core animation we'll get some really modern applications, like the one Steve demoed. I'm a bit unimpressed with what came of the UI and the dock, but there are key features that make the upgrade justifiable.

He could've used an iMac instead. But they tend to use the fastest available hardware, which right now is the Mac Pro, and that means using the iSight - until they're ready to unveil new displays with integrated iSights...

Back