WWDC News Reports Here!

Well I'm glad that the G5 didn't look like that bad shoot of an alu box claimed to be the new apple that were floating around for a while. Looked mor like an PC box to me.

Viktor

Originally posted by senne
*** apple has bought emagic and since then stopped developing logic audio for windows, cubase is only pro alternative for pc users, except that it's far behind logic
*** Looks like Macs are set for SERIOUS audio professionals.
fastest computer in the world
what about the future?
We're at 2 GHZ today
we're announcing in 12 months...we'll be at 3 GHz (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
we have a video i'd like to show you

........ (maybe more to come, already posting)

video title: " this architecture has legs"
Well actually SX is pretty good, the problem with Logic is that it doesn't support ASIO/VST anymore. I've heard that its a better app though, although it doesn't have as big a market share, especially that Windows support has gone. And you're forgetting Pro Tools. Having said that, Logic 6 and a G5 seems like a fairly unbeatable combination!

As if the WWDC excitment wasn't enough, I've just finished reading the Order of the Pheonix this very minute :)

I like the case, I's not as good looking as the cube was, but it's what's inside that counts. I'll make my final jugement when I see it up close and personal.... ;)

Viktor

The pictures of the new case up on the Apple site make it look a lot better than the others posted so far.

I didn't like it at all before seeing them. Now I think it looks VERY sleek.

Don't know where your fit a second drive though.

I had a look at the prices and even when you take VAT into consideration, the UK prices are still between £150 and £200 more expensive, which sucks. Ok, I'm not going to be ordering a G5 anytime soon but I was hoping to get a new machine in November, I hope there's a cut before then. I had thought all the prices were quite comparable but I just checked the PowerBooks and there's a 100 quid difference with those too.

G5 2Ghz Spec results from Apple website:

SPECfp_base2000 = 15.7
SPECint_base2000 = 17.2

Results from SPEC.org website

Dell Precision WorkStation 650 (3.06 GHz Xeon):

SPECfp_base2000 = 15.8
SPECint_base2000 = 22.5

Originally posted by layte100
G5 2Ghz Spec results from Apple website:

SPECfp_base2000 = 15.7
SPECint_base2000 = 17.2

Results from SPEC.org website

Dell Precision WorkStation 650 (3.06 GHz Xeon):

SPECfp_base2000 = 15.8
SPECint_base2000 = 22.5

I think I smell a troll ;)

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
I think I smell a troll ;)

Sorry about that, I think he followed me here from a gaming forum I post on. He doesn't seem to be taking the news of the new Macs very well (shattered beliefs and all that).

Originally posted by lnoelstorr
Sorry about that, I think he followed me here from a gaming forum I post on. He doesn't seem to be taking the news of the new Macs very well (shattered beliefs and all that).

Not at all.

As you may now have found elsewhere on the Internet today a lot of discussion has been aroused by people finding the same disparagy in Apple's SPEC benchmarks as I (originally and probably most likely the first person to do so) have.

I orginally came here as I was genuinly interested in what would be announced by Jobs in his keynote.

I do quite a bit of hobbiest video and sound work, but currently use a PC :p due to it's dominant performance and so I have taken a keen interest in the G5 based Macs.

The only issue I have is with the biased and unfair benchmarks that have been used by Apple and then taken as Gospal by the faithfull. IF after indepandant and fair tests (which the current ones are not) show the G5 to be substantually faster than my current PC then I will make the switch.

Untill then I will take what I have seen with a pinch of salt and as stated above wait for more reliable tests to show the real performance difference.

If I came across as a Troll (which I guess I did :( ), I do apologise, but then again lets not get too carried away untill we have more concrete numbers to go on.

Pretty serious considerations for a hobbiest then ;)

Only joking, the fact is that most of us here do not gauge Apple's excellence on mainly speed (though it does help), but mainly on it's UI, philosophy, features, hardware longevity, etc etc etc.

So, we don't mind IMO, I do not mind if Apple were selective with what and how they tested, that's marketing.

Whatever you do with your PC, my belief is you'll enjoy doing it a lot more on a Mac (even if you have to wait an extra 2 seconds to render that video footage ;) )

Back