X11 problem

since I started this thread it seems that several other people are having the same troubled as I am getting X11 to work, or rather finding it at all!
As I said earlier, I have given up trying to load "the Gimp" etc. and found other apps that run all by themselves.
But there still seems to be a general problem that it would be useful to resolve.

zen.state said:
just put in your osx disk and do a custom install of just x11. should be fine then.

This was mentioned before, but apparently those people in the thread having this problem have already done this. I had even mentioned it as well, but apparently it's not working for them. :(

Mount the OS X installation DVD. Go find the installer MPKG file and look at its contents (contextual menu item "Show Contents"). Somewhere there should be an X11.pkg or something like it. You can simply doubleclick that one and have it installed. If the installer doesn't want to run it this way, copy it to the Finder before double-clicking it. No need to boot from the installation medium AFAIK.

nixgeek said:
This was mentioned before, but apparently those people in the thread having this problem have already done this. I had even mentioned it as well, but apparently it's not working for them. :(

Exactly! It just doesn't hapen. I've opened the "box" of stuff on the install disc and tried to install any thing that seemed X11 related only to be informed that there was an error (no details) and the install could not be done, or else that the "install was successful" but then never being able to find it or get it to work.
It's no good keeping on telling us to just look on the disc - we've done all that already; that's why we are here looking for something more usefull.

I recommend you to reinstall your fresh OS X without format, and then install your X11. Before you do that, save your personal documents and files on a CD/DVD - just in case...

After that, you will not have any problem from now on. That would make you really feel better.

P.S. If you want to format your hard disk, this is your last resort if not successful after installing the OS X and X11.

A complete re-install would be kind of drastic, and probably
not necessary - but an archive and install would be a much
better choice if you did decide to do a re-install.

If you do not have all of your irreplaceable data backed up externally,
this may also be a good time to invest in an external drive for
backup purposes as well.

Back