xd photo card...help!!!

maxx5770

Registered
Thanks for your patience.

I know this may is not OSX related necessarily but I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Last week I was taking some pictures on a Olympus D-540 camera. I had previewed a few pictures prior to removing the card so I know they were there. I inserted it into a card reader and then into my PB G4. I opened the pictures in preview instead of loading them into iPhoto. I saw the first image and the rest were not able to load. The 3rd to the last image was the only other picture I could open. There were 54 pictures that would give me an error when I tried to open them. The info window sees the document but gives a 0k file size. I removed the card and placed in back into my camera and got a "card error".

I have since put the card in another PB and into another camera all with the same results. I called Olymous and they say that the images are there but the card may not functioning properly. They also said that the images may still be recovered. They suggsted I send the card to someone who could recover the files. I tried to run Norton on it but it was not recognized as a drive. Did the same with Diskwarrior with the same result. I can see it with disk utility and can "verify and repair" the disk but that's all. Any suggestions to help save the images. Thanks!

Warning, do not use a discontinued product. It will hose up any OS X machine. Now, what format is the card coming up as? What kind of pictures (jpeg, etc.) are they?

Thanks for the reprimand. I don't normally use Norton for the exactly the reason you stated but I was desperate.

It is a 256 MB card. Disk utilities sees it formatted as an "MS-DOS file system" and an "non HSF disk"

They are jpegs. Normally about 600k. The Olympus guy said that the copying process was probably interupted somehow and it caused the card to flake out. I've used the xD format card for about 6 months without any problem. My previous Olumpus use SmartMedia cards. I never had any problems before.

This is the error message in Preview

"File error. Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."

I've tried to open them in Photoshop, illustrator, quicktime, Acrobat. I tried placing them in Quark, Illustrator and Powerpoint. I tried to convert them to PDFs as well.

Hope this helps.

Back