Xgrid Help

camgangrel21

Mac Programer
I was looking to see if someone could walk me thought doing a Dvix recode of some DVDs with Xgrid. I have the Grid up and runing now all I need to do is pass comman line stuff to Xgrid to start working on this job. I have Divx 6.1 for mac and Handbrake. I hope someone out there can help me with the cammand line stuff. I don't know much about the cammand line. Thank you for you time.

Are DivX and Handbrake multi-threaded applications that are written to take advantage of distributed computing? If not, then running them with XGrid would be pointless.

You can't just use any old application with a distributed computing cluster -- the software needs to be written to take advantage of key things, like mutually exclusive tasks that can be broken up between computers and run independently. Typically, only a select few scientific, mathematic and pro-level applications are written to have these properties.

I don't believe that DivX and Handbrake are applications that exhibit this property, nor do I believe that these applications were written to be able to run in a distributed environment. I could be wrong, though -- if someone can provide evidence to the contrary, I'd be just as interested in this as you!

Edit: Wow, I just found a little information on using mencoder (a command-line ripping software) with XGrid... there doesn't seem to be an easy "how-to" here, but I hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Xgrid-users/2004/Mar/index.html

Back