XP and OSX, do I need a Crossover Cable?

jonparadise

Registered
I've searched throught the forums, and I think I've found most of the answers I need, but I'm stuck on the last one.

My other half has a Dell Laptop, with Ethernet Network card installed. I have a G3 ibook, connected to the internet using an Airport Card.

I've been trying to connect the XP laptop to my ibook to share it's Airport connection using an Ethernet Cable.

It works to a point. When I plug and unplug the cable from the XP Laptop, it tells me that the connection has been disconnected or connected - so it's recognising that there is something there.

However, the PC cannot find an internet connection to surf the net.

As far as I know, I only have a standard Ethernet Cable, not crossover, would this make the difference I need?

Also, whenever I try to enable Windows Sharing on my ibook, it deselects itself straight away.

You'll have to enable Internet Sharing on the iBook, otherwise the Dell won't be able to talk to computers out in the Internet.
(System Preferences > Sharing > Internet)

Although in theory, you should use a XOver Cable, Apple have auto-detecting Ethernet Adaptors, which swap the Transmit/Receive Pair when they detect a direct Ethernet Connection. You may have to reboot because the interface doesn't Hot Switch.

Windows Sharing requires Personal File Sharing. You'll have to enable them both to share folders with a Windows Machine.

Thanks for that.

I've already got Internet Sharing enabled. While the PC regonises there is a connection, and even verifies the speed. It won't surf the web. I even put my Mac's IP address in.

I have switched Personal File sharing on. But Windows file sharing still won't enable. Tsk.

Cheers

Jon

The crossover cable should not be the issue, as the iBook (those with dual usb) auto-switches the connection when it is necessary.

What is the config of the proxy software you are using?

afaik, The dell will have to use the ibook as a proxy server and cannot access the airport network directly. You may need to plug the ip of the iBook into explorer.

I'm a total novice when it comes to things like proxies I'm afraid. :eek:(

I haven't touched the proxy settings on my ibook, or on the PC. All I did on the PC was set up a new network, and entered my Mac's IP address in the default gateway.

You have turned on internet sharing.

Now go to the setup for your built in ethernet in Syspref ->network (choose built in ethernet in configure)
Set the same to manual and then set the ip to 192.168.0.1 and the mask to 255.255.255.0 or some such (depends on what the other computers are set as)

I don't have a windoze machine to test that, but I believe that you have to set the preferences in your windoze browser to the same ip. It is LAN settings or some such. (It may work if the ip gateway is set systemwide to the mac ethernet address.)

You may want to make the whole setup as a new location, in case you need other setups elsewhere.

If your iBook has only one USB port, then you do need a Crossover cable.

bobw: A Crossover cable is an Ethernet cable with the Transmit and Receive pairs crossed over.
Traditionally, Ethernet cables are used to connect a computer to a Hub or Switch, When you connect two computers together, you need to use a crossover cable, otherwise they'll both try transmitting data at the same time.
Apple Ethernet Ports Automatically switch the T/R pairs when they detect a Transmit Signal on the Receive Pair.
I don't know anything about USB Crossover Cables.

Salvo

I know what an Ethernet cable is. If you re-read, you won't see anything about a USB crossover cable.

Apple Ethernet Ports Automatically switch the T/R pairs when they detect a Transmit Signal on the Receive Pair.
- Not true. Do some reading on which Apple machines can and cannot use a crossover cable.

bobw said:
Salvo

I know what an Ethernet cable is. If you re-read, you won't see anything about a USB crossover cable.

- Not true. Do some reading on which Apple machines can and cannot use a crossover cable.

Sorry bobw, my Bad :(

Also, even if the iBook supports auto-detection of the crossover cable or not, the Windows XP machine might not -- which shouldn't cause problems since the iBook would be making the necessary adjustments, but you know how troubleshooting computers goes.

Pick up a crossover cable for about $5 at your local computer store and see if that works.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Also, even if the iBook supports auto-detection of the crossover cable or not, the Windows XP machine might not -- which shouldn't cause problems since the iBook would be making the necessary adjustments, but you know how troubleshooting computers goes.

Pick up a crossover cable for about $5 at your local computer store and see if that works.

I tried a crossover cable. That doesn't work either.

It looks like it's basically the Windows XP computer with a problem. Surprise! Microsoft want to charge me to fix it, when it's a hole in the software.

Back