Xserve Capabilities

Rodeo_Joe

Registered
Greetings to all,

I've searched high and low for an answer to this simple question, but have been unsucessful. How many users (total and simultaneous) can an Xserve (2yrs. old) support? I have a Network admin where I work (PC/Unix Guru) telling us that our Xserve is old and will only support 50 users at one time. Our network locks up when users are accessing files and trying to complete work. Our server only supplies home dirs and files, no DHCP or DNS or any other services that I am aware of at this juncture. I wish I could get some straight answers from him, but he is not a Mac person.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Signed,

Extremely Frustrated

If you have a 10-client license of Mac OS X Server, then you're limited to 10 simultaneous connections.

If you have the unlimited client license of Mac OS X Server, then you're not limited in any fashion to how many users can simultaneously connect.

The number of users the computer can "handle" depends on many, many factors -- the amount and type of services you're running, your network hardware/cabling, the manner in which you have those users defined, etc.

If the server is locking up when people are accessing it, the first thing I would check is the network hardware -- is it simple and straightforward, or do you have a lot of switches hooked to switches (i.e., does a map of your network look like a mess)?

What version of Mac OS X Server is the XServe running? What protocols are being used to access the server (AFP, SMB, etc.)? Are there both Macs and Windows PCs connecting, or is it a homogeneous network?

Back